Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Adventurer, Unboxing and Initial Thoughts

Chris

My Star Adventurer mount arrived yesterday (thanks FLO), so instead of just diving in I set up the cameras to do a little un-boxing and first impressions video. I'm really looking forward to getting this little beauty out under the stars to physically test it, but first impressions do fill me with confidence. 

I hope this is useful for anyone on the fence regarding this mount, I sat on the fence for so long I developed another bum cheek! 

Looking good Chris, just to mention those rechargeables only add up to 4.8 volts and the SA likes 5 volts, I have run mine on them but  when the voltage drops they stop working, a set of normal batteries works better and they last for ages.

Dave

14 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looking good Chris, just to mention those rechargeables only add up to 4.8 volts and the SA likes 5 volts, I have run mine on them but  when the voltage drops they stop working, a set of normal batteries works better and they last for ages.

Dave

Thanks Dave, good point! I'll pick some up when next in Tesco's :) I pinched the rechargables from my boys xbox controllers, he's not noticed yet :grin:

Nice video Chris! The SA looks really cool, even though I went with the SkyGuider instead. But I think they're both very similar.

May I suggest you check out Karol's blog here, he's using the same mount with very good results. His total payload (Canon DSLR, 400mm lens, autoguider) weighs 3.2 kg according to him, and apparently he could make 90 seconds exposures – perhaps more? Interestingly, he fixed an autoguider kit to the unused screw on the dovetail bar, as explained here. It looks like a very convenient option!

11 minutes ago, Space Oddities said:

Nice video Chris! The SA looks really cool, even though I went with the SkyGuider instead. But I think they're both very similar.

May I suggest you check out Karol's blog here, he's using the same mount with very good results. His total payload (Canon DSLR, 400mm lens, autoguider) weighs 3.2 kg according to him, and apparently he could make 90 seconds exposures – perhaps more? Interestingly, he fixed an autoguider kit to the unused screw on the dovetail bar, as explained here. It looks like a very convenient option!

Excellent! thank you very much, Pierre! I look forward to having a read through those links once the kids are in bed :) 

26 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

I really liked that FS-60CB combo? But I don't think my wallet does?

lol Yeah they aren't exactly wallet friendly, even the baby 60mm! I have to say I was very lucky and got a great deal on this one :)  

I wouldn't worry too much about guiding it Chris, it should do a couple of minutes with Tak and long exposures with wide angle lenses.

I think the big advantage of the SA is the ability to set up quickly and start imaging without a computer etc.

Dave

16 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I wouldn't worry too much about guiding it Chris, it should do a couple of minutes with Tak and long exposures with wide angle lenses.

I think the big advantage of the SA is the ability to set up quickly and start imaging without a computer etc.

Dave

Hi Dave, That's good to hear. I did have a look at the links Pierre gave, and the guy has put together an interested setup with a Lacerta autoguider handset rather than a pc, so it still remains portable. However, the main reason I bought the SA was for it's portability and simplicity, so any kind of guiding isn't really for me. 

I'm sure I'll be happy with the results as everything is relative and I haven't had any kind of EQ mount for quite some time now. It's going to do a lot better than my fixed tripod :grin:  

5 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Nice vid Chris, looks like a nicely thought out product... apart from the battery cover! 

Thanks Robert, lol yeah that battery cover didn't take long to stand out as the weak point!

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

I never guided with this mount, never needed to. You can get a good 5mins on unguided depending on camera setup your using.

Good to hear from you Skyline, I hope you are well? I'm guessing some SA's are better tuned than others which is relatively understandable at the price point, I hope I've got a good one like yours, 5 min subs at any focal length sounds excellent. I've got a bunch of old vintage lenses I can try from 28mm to 200mm, with my m43 sensor that's 56mm and 400mm full frame equivalent. The Tak and 100p are over 700mm FF equivalent so might be pushing things, but even if I get 90 seconds I'd be happy compared to my current fixed tripod shots :) 

Archived