Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New laser pen misuse report

JamesF

1 hour ago, AngryDonkey said:

What he said! ^^^

Not sure how this relates to the issue? Two wrongs don't make a right...

What's there to grandstand about? Shining a laser at an aircraft is bad!

Mkay.jpg.3f73bbc8033b35b5c334bc4c793aa900.jpg

So is shining a laser at lots of other things. Whether lasers should be licensed or not is another question. The fact that some people do these things requires that attention is brought to the issue to ensure it does not become more widespread. Surely there is nothing wrong about that?

This ;

( What are peoples' thoughts on this one ? )

I expressed my thoughts, MKAY ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? I appreciate that you might have a different viewpoint and that's great! I just felt that you are downplaying a serious issue and although I'm sure on this particular occasion safety was not compromised, in my opinion it's something that needs to be taken seriously (hence the somewhat strong reaction - not trying to offend though!).

5 minutes ago, AngryDonkey said:

? I appreciate that you might have a different viewpoint and that's great! I just felt that you are downplaying a serious issue and although I'm sure on this particular occasion safety was not compromised, in my opinion it's something that needs to be taken seriously (hence the somewhat strong reaction - not trying to offend though!).

I have really taken a few different sides as a response to this post the first and formost issue of safety as no planes have been downed by a low wattage laser and intoxicants have downed many aircraft (ship's of all kinds) and its the pilots unions that put the safety risk from lasers as an immediate issue of concern which it certainly is but from the history of flight to this day lasers have at best made pilots nervous and like seeing a meteor in the eyepiece having an unexpected bright flash through the cabin is quite unsettling. The second being the financial burdon on municipalities to govern the use of lasers as depending on where one lives the laws are different everywhere those places where its allowed or less regulated have the highest amount of offending users. Thirdly I believe in using serious technologies safely and for purpose, those who play with fire are likely to get burned " no different than Galileo's day but more and more dangerous stuff lying about.

You diddent offend me I just am not overly responsive when cartoons are used ?

3 hours ago, The Admiral said:

As usual it'll be the law-abiding that end up paying, rather than the imbeciles who will buy off t'internet and not register. And would it ever get policed in our present climate?

That's the whole point of it, make a law against something then charge for a licence to do it,  just another tax to raise money not to prevent it happening.

Dave

I'm all for people distracting pilots being held to account. I struggle to see how a legal laser would have the power or accuracy to hit a cockpit and cause a distraction unless it was deliberate. But then knowing how hard it is to even point a well mounted telescope at a tiny target, especially a fast moving one does make me wonder how anyone could manage to do this even if they wanted to.

15 minutes ago, Paz said:

I'm all for people distracting pilots being held to account. I struggle to see how a legal laser would have the power or accuracy to hit a cockpit and cause a distraction unless it was deliberate. But then knowing how hard it is to even point a well mounted telescope at a tiny target, especially a fast moving one does make me wonder how anyone could manage to do this even if they wanted to.

It's all about beam spread.  The divergence of the laser beam is fairly significant so the accuracy  is  not as  critical  as you may first think.  The spread of the laser used to measure the distance to the moon (reflects off the reflectors left behind by Apollo 11, 14 and 15 ) is approximately 7 km in diameter when it reaches the surface of the moon.   Illuminating the cockpit of an aircraft is a fairly easy task and while the power is greatly diminished at the cockpit , it is not the power rather the distraction that presents the hazard. 

Jim 

Archived