Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bubble Nebula in Ha - Atik 383L+

tooth_dr

I combined 8 x 600s unbinned data from earlier in the year, with 8 x 600s 2x2 binned data from a few days ago.  APP combined this automatically into one single stack.

Total integration time = 2 hours 40 minutes, 7nm Ha filter.

Thanks for looking.

Bubble_8400s_1x1_2x2_combined.jpg

4 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Superb...

I too am looking at getting APP, as want a package that does it all, from stacking to final image...

what are your thoughts on it... :)

It’s pretty amazing at stacking etc. The more you use it the more it impresses! I just went ahead and bought the full version and I’m glad I did. I only probably understand about 2% of the functions too!

9 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It’s pretty amazing at stacking etc. The more you use it the more it impresses! I just went ahead and bought the full version and I’m glad I did. I only probably understand about 2% of the functions too!

Have you ever used Pixinsight, and if so which would you recommend...price aside.. :)

45 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I combined 8 x 600s unbinned data from earlier in the year, with 8 x 600s 2x2 binned data from a few days ago.  APP combined this automatically into one single stack.

Total integration time = 2 hours 40 minutes, 7nm Ha filter.

Thanks for looking.

Bubble_8400s_1x1_2x2_combined.jpg

The Bubble Nebula is one of those objects that looks gorgeous in SHO. So you're off to a good start Adam! 

I presume in time you will be adding the SII and OIII?

32 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Superb...

I too am looking at getting APP, as want a package that does it all, from stacking to final image...

what are your thoughts on it... :)

I'll chip in with my 2p's worth as well ?

APP is the new kid on the block. What it does, it does extremely well. Things like, pre-processing, gradient reduction, and making mosaics. And if you shoot NB with a DSLR, then you really need this program, as it has special debayering algorithms which take the hassle out of calibrating and stacking the data as efficiently as possible. But as with all new programs, it is still in it's infancy, so is missing some key post-processing features. So right now, you would still need a 2nd program in addition to APP. I have complete faith in the developer though, and i wouldn't be at all surprised if, when he does get around to adding some of these features, they end up being better than the competition's offerings (and importantly, much easier to understand and use).  

I will also say though, that for me PS will pretty much always be in my workflow. It's UI is just too darn good to give up! Some of the more cosmetic processes i feel will nearly always be best done in PS, even if alternatives are available in other tools. Pixinsight is without doubt, the closest thing to a one-stop-shop program that can process an image from raw data right through to completion (assuming you can get your head around it!). But I would hazard a guess that most of the elite-level imagers around today are using more than 1 program to produce their images. 

HTH. 

First class result, I am also very impressed with APP’s capabilities. I  originally purchased the package for the calibration and stacking functions, thinking it’s processing tools were a bit lacking, but the more I use them the more I stay in APP for the entire process. This is particularly the case if I have combined data from different set ups, as Startools seems to struggle to load these type of files.

11 hours ago, Xiga said:

The Bubble Nebula is one of those objects that looks gorgeous in SHO. So you're off to a good start Adam! 

I presume in time you will be adding the SII and OIII?

That’s Ciaran. This was more an experiment into binning and stacked binned and unbinned data in APP.  I might go for Oiii next cheer moon free night (so maybe never!)

27 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Awe, what happened to promiscuity?

:Dlly

Well to be completely honest I am now a Linux user for all things astro, so it would have been nice to have just the one package that will work on Linux, as DSS does not, and can’t afford another version of PS..but maybe I am asking a bit much... :)

Apologies to tooth_dr as this is probably the wrong place to post this, but on the topic of the diversity of processing packages available, what are people's thoughts on the latest version of GIMP? I was put off this in the early days due to it being restricted to 8 bit files but the latest  version has this sorted and looks to me to be very impressive. Is there any kind of astro related  image processing function  it lacks compared to PS, or is it the multitude of astro add-ons available for PS that still give this one the upper hand? 

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Apologies to tooth_dr as this is probably the wrong place to post this, but on the topic of the diversity of processing packages available, what are people's thoughts on the latest version of GIMP? I was put off this in the early days due to it being restricted to 8 bit files but the latest  version has this sorted and looks to me to be very impressive. Is there any kind of astro related  image processing function  it lacks compared to PS, or is it the multitude of astro add-ons available for PS that still give this one the upper hand? 

I've just started using Gimp to compose mosaics, and I feel that it shows excellent potential.  I do not find it intuitive at all, but I don't think that PS is easy to use either.  I suspect that PS users would find the Gimp easy enough.

I have GIMP on my work PC, and I have got the hang of it just about to do the simplest things, but in reality I find it nowhere near as easy to use as PS.

@don4l try the free trail of APP to compose a mosaic, I've tried a few - PS, ICE, autostitch, and others, and APP best so far.

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I have GIMP on my work PC, and I have got the hang of it just about to do the simplest things, but in reality I find it nowhere near as easy to use as PS.

@don4l try the free trail of APP to compose a mosaic, I've tried a few - PS, ICE, autostitch, and others, and APP best so far.

I tried to trial APP, but my laptop couldn't get the license key to work.  I gave up after a couple of attempts. 

APP suggested adjusting my firewall settings.  Unfortunately,  I don't even know if my laptop has a firewall!

To be honest,  I will take a bit more pride in my efforts if I feel that I did most of the work myself.

BTW, nice "Bubble"!  Well done.

To be honest, I will get more satisfaction if I do a bit more of the work myself.

18 minutes ago, don4l said:

To be honest,  I will take a bit more pride in my efforts if I feel that I did most of the work myself.

To be honest, I will get more satisfaction if I do a bit more of the work myself.

Each to their own I guess  ?? I take plenty of pride and am pretty satisfied, taking advantage of the available software. 

Archived