SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello All

AstroWyc

Hello All

I have been using an etx105 manually for last 10 years and now moved to equatorial Mount (eqm-35 pro go to) and just started with it. Any help with the top part where the scope is attached as the scope is not aligned straight with the mount. Would this not put the scope out of sync? 

Any help would be great! 

Hi, AW, & welcome to SGL.

Not quite sure what you are asking (can you provide a photo?) and don't know this specific mount, but basically:

(1) Mount needs to be aligned with the earth's axis (polar alignment) - this has nothing to do with the scope that is on it.

(2) Scope needs to be aligned with the sky (star alignment) - this teaches the mount where the scope is pointing.

Once you have done these, the mount should put the scope on target. As long as there is no slack between mount and scope, it should not matter how the scope is positioned (or if it is "aligned straight") on the mount.

12 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, AW, & welcome to SGL.

Not quite sure what you are asking (can you provide a photo?) and don't know this specific mount, but basically:

(1) Mount needs to be aligned with the earth's axis (polar alignment) - this has nothing to do with the scope that is on it.

(2) Scope needs to be aligned with the sky (star alignment) - this teaches the mount where the scope is pointing.

Once you have done these, the mount should put the scope on target. As long as there is no slack between mount and scope, it should not matter how the scope is positioned (or if it is "aligned straight") on the mount.

Thank you for responding. So I attached 2 pics (please excuse ehalloween Dec's) . As you can see the scope is going to right slightly compared to the scope on mount. This means I place mount in correct place and can't seem to get the scope to level out so when I align to 1st star it is out of position. Its close but when looking for deep sky it will be an issue. 

The scope is going off as the place I mount so ems to not be straight but I have a bit that is straight but nowhere to attach. 

DSC_6505.JPG

DSC_6504.JPG

On 30/10/2018 at 20:23, MarsG76 said:

Hello and welcome to SGL... 

That would not interfere with your alignment after a star alignment was performed... what is critical is the balance.

Thank you for this but I went out tonight and tried is on a 3-star alignment and they were well out. Am I missing something? I have balanced it so that it is same on both sides but only using one weight. Would I need both? 

3 hours ago, AstroWyc said:

Thank you for this but I went out tonight and tried is on a 3-star alignment and they were well out. Am I missing something? I have balanced it so that it is same on both sides but only using one weight. Would I need both? 

Whether you need to use both weights depends on if the setup is balanced...

unlatch the RA gear so that it's loose, and move the scope and weights to be horizontal... if you let go (carefully), does the mount turn one way or the other... if so , it's not balanced and you need to adjust the weights until it doesn't move.

if you have a sticky (not smooth mount) try pushing on one side and than the other and see if there is more resistance on one compared to the other... if different than adjust the weights until is the same... but it should not be too sticky, stillmove with a gentle touch... MAKE SURE THAT YOU'RE LATCHED OFF THE RA GEAR OR YOU MIGHT CAUSE DAMAGE...

3 hours ago, AstroWyc said:

BUT looking at your system, you won't need 2 weights... just move the weight up or down the shaft to adjust balance...

Archived