Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

Jonk

Soyuz launch failure

I missed the lift off (work!) but am just watching nasa live tv now and the Soyuz launch today has failed.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/10/soyuz-reduced-2-crew-launch-station/

The search and rescue teams are in radio contct with the 2 crew members who are responding, following an emergency landing.

Let's hope they're ok.

Live now

A rare happening fortunately,  and a huge relief that the escape mechanisms worked so well.
We are so used to non failures, it comes as a big jolt when one does occur, but fortunately, without loss of life.

Thanks for the update. At least the crew members got out.

Latest news is the crew are on their way back to Star City and the news is 'not entirely good', which would suggest some injuries.

Apparently the deecent and impact g forces were likely higher than that of training conducted.

54 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Latest news is the crew are on their way back to Star City and the news is 'not entirely good', which would suggest some injuries.

Apparently the deecent and impact g forces were likely higher than that of training conducted.

It can't be that bad or they would be heading to a hospital in the nearby city in Kahzakstan.

One oafish news report (Independent?) suggested the ballistic trajectory was 'to get them back to Earth as fast as possible' which I imagine is the exact opposite of what they wanted!

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

One oafish news report (Independent?) suggested the ballistic trajectory was 'to get them back to Earth as fast as possible' which I imagine is the exact opposite of what they wanted!

It is a bit oafish, isn't it? 

I'll need to start with the assumption that the Soyuz craft main engine was never fired during this booster de-coupling and abort. It seems like a safe assumption.

That would mean that it's path forward became a ballistic path at the moment the main rocket failed and that this certainly was the fastest way to the ground. It's the only way. They were in free-fall. A totally meaningless statement that might have served to make listeners who don't understand what happened think they understand some of the technical issues involved, I guess.

It's also true that these things do happen occasionally. I remember at least one other Soyuz abort. Some time ago. Maybe in the last days of the Soviet Union or the early days of independent Russia. A Soyuz rocket exploded either on the pad or shortly after liftoff. The crew jettisoned in time and landed safely. If that one was in the air, though, it was lower.

It sounds like this one happened pretty high up.

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

image.jpeg.e8b36c2901a4d57a03a3fc0e088c654b.jpeg

Love the tasteful selection of nuts and Soviet-era TV 🙂

Not sure that's a tv - looks like a monitor for the blood pressue and heart rate sensors.

Still, lovely selection of protein!

11 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Still, lovely selection of protein!

They have taken Ford Prefect's advice...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They have taken Ford Prefect's advice...

I don't see any beer :)

Glad they're home safe.

Edited by johnfosteruk

Glad everyone is ok, the media here in the states are already questioning the continued viability of the Soyuz program based on this failure alone...really an awesome program though for many decades and with a safety record that rivals most any out there. I think its important to remember We don't do these things because their easy, We do these things because they are hard.