Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath (no) Star Party 2018 - What we saw after you'd all gone!

Tim

Well it wasn't exactly a vintage Autumn Star party at Kelling. Early arrivers had a couple of hours of pristine skies on thursday evening, and a bit less than that in the early hours of friday, but the main weekend and the few days after presented the worst cloudy skies I have experienced in over a decade of Autumn star parties. As everybody left, the comment was made by several individuals that it didn't really feel like a star party had happened this year, feelings that my family echoed.

However, as the last of the hardy souls left the camp field, much better skies presented themselves. Sadly this coincided with the arrival of a campsite full of "Forties Weekend" revellers, and we had to move from our prime viewing pitch on the red field, down into dingley dell under the trees at the bottom of the field. At this point, events turned in our favour, a large caravan parked up at the rear of us, completely blocking the glow from the toilet block, and the campers nearby turned out to be interested in astronomy, and I inserted a large dose of "please don't leave your white lights on at night if you don't need to" into the friendly chat as they arrived. The nearest caravan did leave his LED floodlight on at first, but was happy to turn it off when politely requested, we ended up in a really dark spot

As it happened, the pitch we were on enjoyed a clear view of the milky way, and a fair portion over to the west. I think feeling sorry for me, with the poor weather for the star party, my wife, and the following night my daughter, both stayed out for several hours, and actually, in the end, I probably had more clear sky time than at any other autumn star party I have attended, including two good all nighters.

Here are the targets we managed, through my Lukehurst 18" f4 Dobsonian;

Messier Targets:

M1, M13, M15 (new one for me), M17, M22 (new to me), M27, M31, M32, M33, M37, M42, M43, M51, M52, M57, M71, M76, M81, M82, M92, M102 (new to me) M110

IC Targets:

IC 5146, Cocoon Nebula (on my to-do list for this year, pleased to bag it), IC1396, IC 1848 (maybe), IC 1805

NGC Targets

6888 - Crescent, 2022 - PN, 891 - edge on galaxy, 281 - Pacman, 7789 - Carolines Rose, 6905 - Blue Flash PN, 6886 - PN, 3077 - galaxy, 6811 - Hole in a cluster, 6992 - 6995 Eastern Veil, 6960 Western Veil, 7331 - Deer Lick galaxies, 7317 et al - Stephens Quintet, 379 thru 385 - awesome galaxy chain, 507 - huge galaxy group, 5985,5981,5982 - Draco Triplet (Recommended target visual+photo), 5907 - Edge on galaxy, 7635 - Bubble nebula + Californietta nebula, 404 - Mirachs Ghost (a favourite), 869/864 - Double cluster

Other Targets

B33 Horsehead nebula, Flame nebula, Comet 21P, Pickerings triangle, B168 Dark Cigar, various VDB targets in IC1396, Albireo, Epsilon Lyrae, Zeta Herculi (through 7" Intes Mak Newt), also Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars, and Neptune. Also a couple of faint Palomar globulars

Targets that eluded me!

Despite extensive searching, I simply could not find Abell 78, or the mini Draco Pinwheel. Maybe next year.......

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable experience, albeit belated and fairly lonely! The favourite target though, which I haven't observed before, and which my wife and daughter both enjoyed the most, was Herschels Garnet Star, which glowed a deep, satisfying orange, and stood out like a real gem of the night sky. It is always nice to see the Horsehead, which showed easily in my 21mm Ethos with UHC filter, and large edge on galaxy NGC 5907 will have to go on the camera target list, as it was very impressive visually.

We arrived home yesterday after a three week break at the campsite. Shame to come home during such fine weather, and already looking forward to next year's three weeks there, and glad it will be a bit later in the year.

Thanks to those that did pop over during the few clear spells, @daz & co, and to Andrew R for sharing his mighty 24", it was good to compare views, and NGC 6888 through the 24" on the early thursday night was a sight to remember, so much detail.

Next outing for the dob is the SGL star party in a couple of weeks. Very very happy to share the views, we are there friday and saturday nights if you want to have a look :)

Cheers

Tim

13 minutes ago, Tim said:

Next outing for the dob is the SGL star party in a couple of weeks. Very very happy to share the views, we are there friday and saturday nights if you want to have a look :)

Cheers

Tim

That's handy Tim, right next door to me, I like a look through a big Dob SGL SP is the only chance I get.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Helen said:

Dave, you'd be welcome to come and view through mine too (although it is only a 15 inch)

Helen

Thanks Helen, I usually have a wander around cadging views through the assorted Dobs, no point me buying one for use in my LP skies.

Dave

Yes it was the worst Kelling for me as regards lack of clear skies and I have been attending since 2010. 

Although I arrived on Thursday, because it rained in the afternoon I had not completed assumbling my kit and also needed to polar align, so much of that little bit of clear sky had passed by by the time I was ready to image.  So all I got in the end was about 7 x 150 second subs dodging between the clouds. 

Glad you got some better weather later on.

Carole 

Archived