Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st Dark Skies Site.....

Shelster1973

...and am wondering what to expect?  Other than quite a lot of cloud and rain obviously.

Background on the story....will be working away from home for 3 weeks and they have only gone and sent me up to Brampton.  Yep, right on the doorstep of Kielder.  Due to distances involved, wont be coming back down at weekends, so plan is to head up into the park proper at the weekends and do some imaging, if the weather gods permit.  During the week, will grab whatever I can from the hotel or just near by.  Unfortunately wont be long nights in the week as have silly early starts each day.

Equipment wise, will be using my SA, along with my D7100 fitted with either my 10-25mm, 50mm or 70-300.

Am looking forward to it as has been a very long time since I have witnessed dark skies (I know I said 1st dark sky site in title, but being at sea on a warship does not count)

Will post some images if I manage to get something while up there.

Hi S,you won`t need to travel to Kielder,you will find Brampton offers some very nice views of the night skies (more time to image ). also a good deli/butcher and a good

selection of good drinking establishments,aside the fact you`ve got to work you will love it,and the forecast is good,enjoy,

Regards

Mike

23 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi S,you won`t need to travel to Kielder,you will find Brampton offers some very nice views of the night skies (more time to image ). also a good deli/butcher and a good

selection of good drinking establishments,aside the fact you`ve got to work you will love it,and the forecast is good,enjoy,

Regards

Mike

That does sound good.  Have been billeted in the Farlam Hall Hotel, so is a wee bit outside Brampton.

Any pointers on good eateries and drinking establishments?  Spending 3 weeks so can try lots

Well...have just gone and booked a pitch at Kielder for the friday, saturday and sunday nights.  Will be a very early pack-up on the monday morning as have to be in work for 0800, but may be able to wangle a later start.

Also have my brother in law joining me (travelling up from Liverpool area) so should be a good weekend.

Have got a tent pitch, but unfortunately it does not have an EHU, so will be bartering beer for electricity ?.  Not sure on pitch number yet.

Are there any other SGL members heading up there for this event?

Hi there,

you will love the dark skies in Kielder as its a gold standard status from the IDA.

When its dark its dark and i used to love volenteering up at the observatory when i worked shifts and visisted area on regular basis.  When its good its amazing and so hard to see the main constelations as too many stars :)

Not sure if this place is still in buisness as i know he was selling up due to health issues but its 2 mins from the driveway up to the obbsy so right in park :)

http://www.staykielder.co.uk/

If camping in kielder campsite take wet gear as its known for being quite a wet site !!!

There are some nice places just off the road to set up for an evening of imaging  and keep an eye out for aurora too

Hi Shelster. I live near Brampton and if you are looking for somewhere dark you could come to my house. I have a large garden and it is very dark being on the edge of the Northumberland dark sky park. It would be great to meet another member of SGL as there are not many around here. Let me know if you would like to come over and we can take it from there. I am going to Kielder star camp from Thursday until Sunday so I will see you there.

Dave

Archived