Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using Raspberyy Pi 3 without internet access to control whole set-up

Hi All,

Should start by saying I'm a complete raspberry pi noob so steep learning curve so far! Go easy with any technical replies!

Recently been playing with control of the rig using Raspberry Pi 3 essentially as a wireless USB hub (for the mount, autoguider, canon 6D control and PoleMaster), still doing the control with the Widows 10 Nextbook but now from inside the house (hopefully!). I have it all talking to one another whilst on my home wifi network and hope to test it outside when I get a clear sky. Pretty chuffed it seams to work given the trouble we all have with USB drivers and windows updates!

My question relates to what happens when I take it to a remote dark site without wifi! I read it might be possible to create a wifi direct link between Pi and Nextbook but it doesn't look straight forward. Else perhaps get a Ethernet-USB dongle for the Nextbook (no Ethernet port) and hard wire (since I don't need the nextbook too far from the scope while I'm elsewhere). Failing that I can unplug and go back to a USB hub but I want to tie wires out the way and fix the Pi on the mount somewhere in a waterproof enclosure and unwiring every time will be a pain.

Any tips/ideas welcome. Thanks in advance

Matt

20180923_202918.jpg

To better expand my reply:

StarQuew Rasperry Pi image alredy provides an access point by default (and also allows you to configure wifi via the web UI).

If you want autoguiding, until it's natively supported, you can:

a) use KStars autoguiding, connecting to the remove INDI server that's launched by StarQuew,

or

b) Use remote desktop (vnc?) to control PHD2 or any other native guiding solution you currently use

You won't be able to dither, but depending on your workflow it might be acceptable anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Archived