Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Mosaic disaster

vincentnm

Hi All,

My first attempt at a lunar mosiac on 19th Oct. I cant stop kicking myself for the little blunder. If it was a larger swath missed, I would'nt kickmyself so hard. But this little corner? Why me?

Celestron 9.25, 3.3 focal reducer, DFK

8 panes each of ~2000 frames

Stacked in registax, merged in Autostitch.

I'll wait for exactly the same phase September 15-16 and get the missing piece and hope to apply the same settings, weather gods permitting.

Thanks,

Vincent Morris.

9766_large.jpeg

Are you sure you haven't got the data to complete this mosaic? The reason you've missed a bit may be because of the way Registax stacks frames.

Registax only produces a final image based on the area covered by every (rather than any) frame in the AVI to be stacked.

If your image shifted a bit during one of the captures, you'll lose the whole area that slipped out of frame. The answer is simple but laborious.

Load the AVI that covers this missing area into Registax and deselect every frame that doesn't cover the desired area. Now align, optimise and stack the resulting AVI, taking care that the final stack size of your new panel is approximately the same for this panel as for the other panels. Finally, incorporate this new image into your mosaic

Of course, if your missed a bit is because the missing portion was never in any frames, then ignore the above and put it down to experience!

Are you sure you haven't got the data to complete this mosaic? The reason you've missed a bit may be because of the way Registax stacks frames.

Registax only produces a final image based on the area covered by every (rather than any) frame in the AVI to be stacked.

If your image shifted a bit during one of the captures, you'll lose the whole area that slipped out of frame. The answer is simple but laborious.

Load the AVI that covers this missing area into Registax and deselect every frame that doesn't cover the desired area. Now align, optimise and stack the resulting AVI, taking care that the final stack size of your new panel is approximately the same for this panel as for the other panels. Finally, incorporate this new image into your mosaic

Of course, if your missed a bit is because the missing portion was never in any frames, then ignore the above and put it down to experience!

There is a simpler way. Find the avis that border the missed area. Align and limit frames as normal. Then optimise a few times. DON'T optimise AND stack. Once optimisation is over, go into the stack menu and click "Expand to maximum image size.

Hope you find the missing piece. It's a superb mosaic by the way - very sharp.

Andrew

Thanks for your comments guys.

Andrew/Michael - I rechecked my frames, unfortunately there was very little drift and no additional terrain :). Only time I've been sorry about a good polar alignment!

Ian, thanks for your image of the missing terrain. I had a play with it in Photoshop, resising, adjusting brightness, and reducing sharpness (your image was sharper). Somehow the merge kept showing the line of join. hence not posting the result.

Someone from another forum fixed up my image. Not sure if it is cloning or real terrain. Attaching it below.

Thanks,

Vincent.

VincentMorris_-_jpeg.jpg

Finally managed to a semi-decent paste with the missing image piece given to me by Ian. The line of join can be seen if you look close, but it's not too bad. Had to do Filter->Noise->Median to reduce sharpness from Ian's image.

Thanks,

Vincent.

Ian's image:

9877_large.jpeg

Merged:

9876_large.jpeg

Archived