Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Microsoft need not apply :-)

stash_old

I have now finished a new set up for my Grab and Go using Linux (ubuntu 16.04) and IndiLib all running on a small (2/3 size of RPI3) board (UP core 2gb/32gb) . esting has shown that with my Canon 100d dslr and my old  SW AZGOTO I can see an image in FITS format on under 8 secs (excludes exp time)  and in CR2 format in under 6secs - file sizes are 35mb and 10mb approx. the set up gives me:

1. Only power cables are "dangling" - all USB/Mount cables are under 50cm

2. I use Wine to run SW Syn Scan App Pro on the Linux box so in theory I can control EQ or AZ mounts either (i have done both) wirelessly or using Ser2net USB adapters (Sw App is written for Windows so no "com" ports on Linux - it calls them "TTYUSB" - but that is expected)

3. My Asi 120mm can also be used bu I have not done any real testing as yet !

4. The mount is controlled via Kstars - goto's are easy as per CDC etc.

5. Platesolving can be done locally or via Astrometry.net (Internet) - not perfect speed wise but this is for a Grab and Go - ( my desktop Linux box it take under 6 secs).

6. Wireless is ok but it is still the weak point of ALL small boards - Linux or Windows - varies between 6mb and 80mb depending on location. 

I have to admit it was a steep learning curve to set up - VNC,Wine (used Winestaging) ,file sharing (between Windows and Linux)  , Indilib SW AZ drivers are not really past beta stage IMHO - hence the use of Wine/SW App. SW have said that they may bring out a Linux version of Synscan App sometime - hope they do !!

If my more detailed field testing goes well I am seriously thinking of "upgrading" my Obsys to a Mini PC probably using Linux and Indi. 

This is for Linux Astro users!!!!!!!!!!

Clear Skies

Nice to see a fellow Linux user, have to say I've noticed it getting more popular in recent years!

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're using 16.04 instead of 18.04? 16.04 is still supported for another 2 years but one might as well use 18.04 for the more up-to-date packages.

Is this board used with display output or is it all remote? (Or maybe you're using a remote desktop system?)

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Indi\Kstars doesn't run properly on 18.04, even when I've re-compiled, it still doesn't want to play ball....

I'm genuinely surprised.  It's been out a few months now.  I'd not have expected that significant a problem.  I wonder what's wrong?

James

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Indi\Kstars doesn't run properly on 18.04, even when I've re-compiled, it still doesn't want to play ball....

Is this a program which is installed from the package manager, or do you have to install it manually?

5 hours ago, pipnina said:

Nice to see a fellow Linux user, have to say I've noticed it getting more popular in recent years!

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're using 16.04 instead of 18.04? 16.04 is still supported for another 2 years but one might as well use 18.04 for the more up-to-date packages.

Is this board used with display output or is it all remote? (Or maybe you're using a remote desktop system?)

The board doesn't work with 18.04 yet.

At the moment this is running all running on the Up Core as anything else (i.e. indiserver on UP  Kstars/Ekos on something else) is pointless for my grab & go. So I just VNC to the  UP core board tell indi what it I want and leave it to its own devices (slew to object and take some pictures).

As I pointed out Wireless is still a problem and doesn't compete with local USB3 or Wired (but this board doesn't have wired) type running.

Its faster displaying the images on the UP than,for example, my I3 8gb USB2 connected DSLR using APT in my Obsys ?

I dont really care what version of Ubuntu I use as long as the Kstars/Indi runs ok which it does most of he time. OK I have had to compile Ser2net to get UDP but the rest works and the Indi stuff is updated WHEN I WANT.  

I can access image files on the UP Core with file sharing so I could run Robocopy (or alternatives ) to copy files for further processing but I may ry Linux Siril or similar. ?

One step at a time

Works on 64bit Fedora 28 by the way - Kstars/ekos etc etc

It says (Fedora) that Fedora 28 64bit (Armv8 /AArch64 version ) works on RPI3b+ but I haven't a RPI3b+ so cant say for sure and honestly ,IMHO,boards like the UP Core are far faster (and cost more !)  - but i have no hard info /testing to compare so that's a guess.

This for me is a very interesting topic.

I would love to get a solution that runs the mount, targeting, and the camera all remotely using a small board,  Linux based solution.  The temptation of controlling it from a warm room is so great.

Sadly there seems to always be a "but" and therefore a compromise as far as I can tell.  I think I need USB3 to handle my ASI1600 camera properly and Pi3B doesn't have it.   It seems so near but  plate solving without manual intervention and Internet access are also an issue as is the  sheer amount of data from the camera.

What you have done so far seems great but I don't have an observatory so  plate solving is a critical requirement for me as I have to set up from scratch every time.

Archived