Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Takahashi Epsilon just arrived for visual NV use only

So this is definitely an experiment. Epsilons are primarily imaging scopes with a very fast f ratio, in the case of this 130d the f ratio is 3.3. This is great for imaging but also great for night vision monoculars which like having very fast f ratios to get as much light into the image intensifier as possible. 

However, the Epsilons can also be used for visual (although at f3.3 focusing could be interesting - a fine focuser add in is on the way).

An chap in the US on cloudynights is using an Epsilon 180 with night vision with great results so I thought I would give the smaller one a go. With my 40mm plossl I will get a near 4 degree fov (which I’ve found for NV a nice balance for many of the nebulae objects) and a fast f2 ratio. 

Looking forward to giving it a go (although hoping the collimation is pretty good as I’ve heard the Epsilons are right pains to collimate).

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Very nice GavStar. Will be interesting to see how it goes with NV.

What was in the empty space in the box on the rhs? Other Tak goodies?

Just an instruction manual, Tak stickers and Allen keys...

Interesting use for visual. You may find that at low power you can see the "hole" caused by the central obstruction as it can become similar in size to your eyes pupil. 

I found this year's ago when playing with a fast mirror and large diagonal.

Regards Andrew

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Interesting use for visual. You may find that at low power you can see the "hole" caused by the central obstruction as it can become similar in size to your eyes pupil. 

I found this year's ago when playing with a fast mirror and large diagonal.

Regards Andrew

I understand from that chap in the US that this isn’t a problem for Night Vision since the light is going into the intensifier rather than our eye and that can take an exit pupil up to 20mm but hopefully I will be able to verify that this evening...

Hi Pete, it is only an issue if you directly use an eyepiece. In this case the size of the "hole" as it exits the  eyepiece is just the size of the obstruction / magnification. Where the magnification is the focal length of the telescope / focal length of the eyepiece. You want the size of the hole to be much smaller the the size of your pupil.

The hole is of course the the shadow of the secondary.

Hope this helps Andrew.

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

@GavStar how you getting on with the bolts?

Peterw

They work great thank you! ???

And even provide a dovetail safety screw as well ?

I do regret not setting this scope up the other evening at Bignor - it would have been a lovely contrasting first light to Stu’s Sumerian Dob...

PS I hope I’ve got the focuser at the right end, these mirror thingys are so comfusing ?

2CE6FF00-0BF1-4B9F-B026-0D9091918E9F.jpeg

D048FE20-D4E5-4D98-8592-57DD497E6E63.jpeg

A97A9A6E-A356-4001-BDAE-286D8CF1C75B.jpeg

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Quite a handle to look out for as it whirls about! The eyepiece height was also perfect for you and almost constant is it moved around the sky. Very convenient, 

Peter

After a slow start with this scope due to the various adapters needed, it’s great to be able to finally use it. Also nice to be able to add a 2 inch clicklock to enable my 55mm plossl to be used to increase the speed from f3.3 to f1.6.

Despite poor conditions (high cloud and heavy dew and LP!) we still managed to view the North America,  California, Pac-Man, monkeyhead, gamma Cygni, heart, soul, cocoon, and crescent nebulae. Looking forward to trying it against a slower refractor to see the impact of the very fast speed. Also nice that the single speed Tak focuser works fine at this high speed.

Quite amazing that we could view say the California at a Sqm 18.2 site through high cloud!!!

Archived