Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Shroud material possibility

33 minutes ago, Ally8446 said:

Hi folks

Is the below a good choice for making a light shroud for my truss dob ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152874318984

If it's no good does anyone have a link to a supplier of a recommended fabric please.  

Thanks in advance. 

Ally

That's what my 15" Dob came with.  It works well enough and is so simple to pull on like a giant sock that I never felt the need to replace it.  Perhaps if I was to use it with a full aperture solar filter I might want a better material, but at night, it seems fine even with the moon.  It's nice and compact when not in use.  I just wad it up and store it.

I found I needed to be very careful with the balance on my truss dob.  Once I started adding stuff the goto stopped driving as successfully.  So be very careful about what you use to make a shield - lots of folk use a Yoga mat, but the one I made from that sort of material was way too heavy. 

I made a fairly successful one from a cheap cover that you can buy to keep the back seats of cars clean when you have dogs to carry.  This was a really light resistant material.  What I did is posted here if its any use to you:

Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated as always. I've gone ahead and ordered some lycra/nylon type stuff. It was just under a tenner so if it doesn't work I've not exactly broke the bank. I'll post a photo when the job is done. Thanks again.

Ally

I shall be interested in what you come up with.  Maybe your truss tube is a significantly different shape to mine, but what I did find is that as you stretch the fabric from one truss to another and because the material then wants to go in a straight line, it then effectively sliced off chunks of the outer edge of the mirror.  You might be able to check for this with a piece of string wound across them.   In the finish the solution was a looser shroud with a sewn in pleat across the material side to side to form a tube into which a stiffening material could be placed (I used the old fan belt, but a piece of thick wire would also work) thus the whole object was then held open like the circles on a old ladies dress crinoline.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

I shall be interested in what you come up with.  Maybe your truss tube is a significantly different shape to mine, but what I did find is that as you stretch the fabric from one truss to another and because the material then wants to go in a straight line, it then effectively sliced off chunks of the outer edge of the mirror.  You might be able to check for this with a piece of string wound across them.   In the finish the solution was a looser shroud with a sewn in pleat across the material side to side to form a tube into which a stiffening material could be placed (I used the old fan belt, but a piece of thick wire would also work) thus the whole object was then held open like the circles on a old ladies dress crinoline.

I'm hoping the truss design will negate the need for any further support of the shroud. See what you think @JOC

13 minutes ago, Ally8446 said:

I'm hoping the truss design will negate the need for any further support of the shroud. See what you think @JOC

Well that's a rather smart bespoke instrument isn't it - I'm dead impressed!  What a lovely thing to own.

I agree with your thoughts - those 4 sets of vanes, esp. with the inverted V designs do look like they will hold the shroud away from the mirrors - they look to be quite 'on the outside' of the structure don't they?  I reckon you will be OK.  I guess all you will need is a seam top and bottom and threadle through some 1-2" elastic to hold it in place.   My baby scope only has 3 truss tubes and the resulting triangular form wasn't conducive to a round mirror hence my need for a support!

@Ally8446 have you considered getting one made? I know it is more expensive but as JOC says, it’s a lovely scope and would be great to finish it off well.

I believe Shrouds by Heather in the US is the place to go.... 

http://www.scopeshrouds.com/

I will potentially be ordering something from there myself sometime soon as my sewing skills are.... well they are untested is probably the kindest I could be to myself!

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Ally8446 have you considered getting one made? I know it is more expensive but as JOC says, it’s a lovely scope and would be great to finish it off well.

I believe Shrouds by Heather in the US is the place to go.... 

http://www.scopeshrouds.com/

I will potentially be ordering something from there myself sometime soon as my sewing skills are.... well they are untested is probably the kindest I could be to myself!

@Stu, I've looked into Shrouds by Heather and yes, they look fantastic. I've ordered very similar fabric and I know a top class seamstress so time will tell. Watch this space :clock:

Archived