SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC7000 North America Nebula @ F2.9

laser_jock99

First time imaging since spring so a little bit rusty (framing could have been better)- but there is plenty to look at. Also first time I used this scope in a while.

NGC7000 taken with GSO 8" F4 Newtonian telescope working at F2.9 using a 0.7x ASA Keller coma corrector/reducer, modifed Canon 40D full spectrum camera @ ISO1000. Stack of nine images totaling 38 minutes of exposure from a dark sky site in Mid Wales.

(click image for full size version)

43512722205_048eb62da6_o.jpg

Just now, laser_jock99 said:

No- just ambient (quite warm at the time ~12 degrees C)

Reason why I asked is because I use a canon 40D and considering the temperature that the uncooled camera sensor gets to, it's still quite sensitive and noise levels are quite low.. but that said my camera 30 minute subs get to 27-30 degrees C.... at 12 degrees like yours I would be quite happy.....

To counter the heating, I started assembling a cold finger modification to my 40D.... hopefully if I can get my sensor to under 10 degrees that would be a vast improvement... if I can freeze it that would be bliss.

3 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Reason why I asked is because I use a canon 40D and considering the temperature that the uncooled camera sensor gets to, it's still quite sensitive and noise levels are quite low.. but that said my camera 30 minute subs get to 27-30 degrees C.... at 12 degrees like yours I would be quite happy.....

To counter the heating, I started assembling a cold finger modification to my 40D.... hopefully if I can get my sensor to under 10 degrees that would be a vast improvement... if I can freeze it that would be bliss.

I'm relying on the outside air cooling the camera, working mainly in the depths of winter. My best 'ambient' so far was -22 deg C back in 2010! More typically just below freezing though.

5 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

I'm relying on the outside air cooling the camera, working mainly in the depths of winter. My best 'ambient' so far was -22 deg C back in 2010! More typically just below freezing though.

yeah those are not the sort of temperatures I will ever see here.... i think the lowest I had in winter is 6 degrees... summer night time is mid 20s..... so I need to help-out the sensor with the cooling or heat dissipation.

Archived