NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Secondary spider parts needed

Stu

I am try to fit a secondary support from a Revelation dob to another scope (to be revealed ;) ) and it is a little too small so I am looking for ways of extending the arms but 2 to 3 cm (need to check and measure that though)

Is there a decent place, preferably within the UK to source suitable hardware from? I will need to post a picture up I know and will do that tonight so it is more obvious what I need.

Any ideas in the meantime appreciated.

Hi,

I don't know how expensive the Atlantic voyage would be if you bought  from here, but it looks about right:

https://www.astrosystems.biz/spiders.htm

Personally, (and if I had the tools) I would see if I could get some sheet, then make some curved vanes to reduce star spikes at the same time as getting the secondary to fit.

John

Not the cheapest solution but TS does a range of spiders. The cheaper range down the page are €45.00 to €65.00.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Spider&suchdas=OK

BTW the problem with curved vanes is that unless absolutely perfectly shaped they can cause problems and are expensive to make properly which is why commercial newts have straight vanes. 

I’d use some long thin bolts to do the extension as it doesn’t sound too far. There seem to be a lot of options available in the spider market... quite confusing! I once got a very robust looking one from Gary Wolanski  in Canada.

PEter

Archived