NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Casting seeds - Outreach with youngsters

Nyctimene

Had a nice evening yesterday with two boys, eleven and about seven years old, who are staying with their grandparents in the holiday apartment facing our garden, my most used observing site. Usually, I'm forewarning these guests about my nightly activities and the red torch light; and offer, if they are interested, some viewing. When I did this yesterday evening, I noticed a remarkable interest of the elder boy, and invited them both with their grandparents to have a look at the moon. First, I had set up the 80/400 frac on a tripod with video fluid head, and encouraged Matthes, the elder boy, to operate it on his own - "let them get hands on", I learned from a CloudyNights thread some years ago. So, with the RDF he pointed at the moon, and was fascinated already at the 20x mag view: "craters and mountains!" I let him swap the eyepieces (9 and 6 mmf Skywatcher UWA), showed him how to focus and to track, and pointed out prominent craters, as Plato, Copernicus and Clavius, that he immediately  showed his younger brother and grandmother. Next to Saturn, and, as always, the greatest surprise and "wow", that I enjoyed very much, recalling my first steps in stargazing. Now I set up the 8" f/4 Hofheim Instruments traveldob, and we deepened the visual impressions of the moon craters, especially Clavius; and Saturn with mags up to 133x. Matthes spontaneously spotted nearby Titan, and glimpsed even the Cassini division, I had pointed out to him. Mars, deep in the SE, showed the usual uniform disc, but was, for it's colour and shape, a rewarding target for the boys. Meanwhile, dusk had progressed to nautical dusk, and I showed the boys the Summer triangle, the Pole star; and Matthes discovered Cassiopeia on his own - a very talented, skilled and interested young observing buddy. Finally I put Albireo into the field of view, and asked them both about the differences between the stars. The younger boy mentioned the brightness, but Matthes saw in addition to it the colour difference. I explained the origin of this, and let him conclude, which of the stars is the hotter one - of course he came out with the correct answer. An extremely pleasing and rewarding hour - I found myself often with a grin on my face. Well, we shall continue this evening with some views through the 18"....

I've ordered the Pocket Sky Atlas as a gift for the boys (and intend to persuade the grandparents to buy them a scope of the Heritage varieties, preferably, of course, the 130P).

Thanks for reading

Stephan

To continue and finish the episode:

Tuesday evening, I had put out the Heritage 130P (somewhat perfidious;-)) and let the boys operate it mostly on their own. The moon showed Sinus Iridum near the terminator; and, questioned by Matthes, I explained it's origin as a by lava semi-flooded crater, as well as the theory of the moon' s development history. We observed Plato and the Alpine Valley; then again a switch to Saturn and Mars. I hauled out the 18" Obsession, and we repeated observing the targets with higher mags up to 342. The seeing was better than Monday;  Matthes discovered immediately a cloud band on Saturn, saw the Cassini division clearly, and was fascinated by the swarm of Saturn's moons all around the planet (we counted six!). Unfortunately, the moon's brightness prohibited the view on fainter DSO's, and the younger boy got tired, so we finished with Mizar and Alcor (both splitted them naked eye), that gave a nice view in the 18".

Yesterday evening, my wife and I invited the family for a review and additional infos (communities; internet; retailers etc.) I showed the grandparents the 130 P and found a lot of acceptance ( as a christmas gift). I handed the Pocket Sky Atlas (with a dedication) over to the boys - they were greatly surprised and thankful, as were their grandparents. We exchanged addresses and agreed on staying in contact. 
So, three very rewarding evenings for both families (and four scopes!)

Attached a picture of Matthes at the 18", counting Saturn's moons:

DSC_0782.thumb.JPG.186cf1ec79e6a75ee87536aed720499f.JPG

(and his younger brother already tired and stretched out under the observing chair!)

Thanks for reading

Stephan

imageproxy.php?img=&key=bdf8b2134cef9d8bimageproxy.php?img=&key=bdf8b2134cef9d8b

Outstanding ambassadorship on your part. I know the boys will be taking about their experience for some considerable time to come.  Sharing the hobby with enthusiastic participants is a great way to get more from it. Well done for taking the time to show these boys what can be achieved with a telescope when a good teacher is present.

Can i come over and spend a few nights with you and your obsession ????

Steve

2 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

Can i come over and spend a few nights with you and your obsession ????

You are always heartily welcome! (Of course, preferably during the new moon times). If I should not be at home during your arrival time - the key is under the doormat! (to quote someone from here - JOC?)

The airport nearby is Michelstadt.... ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived