Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best budget lenses to use with a 600d?

Olli

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some lenses to use with a 600d and a star adventurer. I am a complete begginer in photography so dont really know what to look for. I have found a lens Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 which is around £100 would this be anygood? Im not really sure on what if i can photo any dsos with just a dslr and a lense but thats what i would like to do. Plus aby widefield lenses you would recommend.

Hi,

You might want to read this site-https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lonely-specks-ultimate-list-of-best-astrophotography-lenses/

And this site has lots of reviews- https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

Second hand but better lenses can be found here-https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/

Budget doesn't often go hand in hand with quality. I can recommend the Samyang 135mmf/2.0 ED UMC Canon fit lens but that is c £409 right now new.

Of course cheap lenses can be used to get practice imaging if you are unsure astro-photography is for you. Don't forget some older lenses can be found in charity shops.

Enjoy your imaging.

Best Regards,
Steve

Howdy, I do have one or two camera lenses and did have a new version of that Sigma 70-300mm but I ended up giving it away to a lad as it simply wasn't sharp enough for my taste.

I also had a Canon latest gen 55-250mm slightly more expensive but in my experience way sharper and more accurate than the Sigma.

The standard 18-55mm latest gen kit lens isn't bad for widefield, and cheap.

A nifty fifty is handy.

I could recommend various other wider lenses but you would be looking at several hundreds of pounds (see my sig).

If about £100 is your fixed budget, why not have a go with a latest Sigma 70-300 DG OS, you'll have fun learning and playing with it and it won't cost you over much should you move it on in 12 months (unless you give it away as I did) ;)

Rich

You could try the older manual M42 lenses like the Pentax Takumar. They are manual focus and you need an M42 to Canon ef adaptor but these are cheap. They are really good quality lenses and you can pick them up on Ebay for less than £100. I started with several Takumars and was not disappointed.

I picked up a super takumar 50mm f2 on eBay for £22 from memory and it's good wide open and not had for chromatic aberration. Why not see what friends and family have in cupboards re old lenses as the canon with adaptor can use m42 and nikon. M42 covers olympus, pentax etc. Old canon FD mount aren't any good on a EOS body no good for infinity focus. Charity shops can be a good search place too.

I will also recommend the 18-55mm kit lens, get the STM version if you can otherwise one of the later IS models, the only downside with this lens is its a bit fiddly to focus and slow but it does produce good images.

The 50mm f/1.8 also known as the nifty fifty is also good but again go for the STM version, the build quality is much better and it has a smooth focus ring.

Alan

4 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi,

You might want to read this site-https://www.lonelyspeck.com/lonely-specks-ultimate-list-of-best-astrophotography-lenses/

And this site has lots of reviews- https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

Second hand but better lenses can be found here-https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/

Budget doesn't often go hand in hand with quality. I can recommend the Samyang 135mmf/2.0 ED UMC Canon fit lens but that is c £409 right now new.

Of course cheap lenses can be used to get practice imaging if you are unsure astro-photography is for you. Don't forget some older lenses can be found in charity shops.

Enjoy your imaging.

Best Regards,
Steve

Thanks steve for those links i was looking at mpb and will most likely get ny camera and lenses from them will have a look at the others. Yes can imagine the quality can change alot. 

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I picked up a super takumar 50mm f2 on eBay for £22 from memory and it's good wide open and not had for chromatic aberration. Why not see what friends and family have in cupboards re old lenses as the canon with adaptor can use m42 and nikon. M42 covers olympus, pentax etc. Old canon FD mount aren't any good on a EOS body no good for infinity focus. Charity shops can be a good search place too.

I will look into that 50mm, my uncle is a professional photograher for next, but his gear costs like into the thousands o think. Not sure if id br comfortable using it lol.maybe he has some old stuff.

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

I will also recommend the 18-55mm kit lens, get the STM version if you can otherwise one of the later IS models, the only downside with this lens is its a bit fiddly to focus and slow but it does produce good images.

The 50mm f/1.8 also known as the nifty fifty is also good but again go for the STM version, the build quality is much better and it has a smooth focus ring.

Alan

Thanks Alan the 50mm isnt that expensive so i will probably get that one i think i could spend another 200 on a second lense if i stretch the budget more. 

Archived