The Pacman!

GavStar

I only had time for a quick session last night so decided to have a go with my 60mm Altair which I haven’t used much yet. The aim of this scope is to get the largest fov of any of my scopes (around 6 degrees with my 55mm plossl in NV monoculars).

For my garden the skies were around the best the could be (a massive sqm of 18.5)

One object I haven’t viewed for a year or so is the Pacman nebula. Great name but when I viewed it at a dark side with my 140mm refractor with standard eyepieces I was not particularly impressed with this object.

However, last night I liked it much more and I can see it is well named. The magnification of the 60mm was really a bit low for this object, so it’s one for me to try again when I have bigger aperture out. But nice to get to see this in a better light (sort of ?). Phone pic below. The phone camera washes out the view due to the background light pollution - at the eyepiece the background sky is much more black...

A71F0118-CC3D-44B3-824F-B0DE642E7374.thumb.jpeg.62d65fc7e1773709c72214ee0f1d1ee5.jpeg

And to finish the short session, with the wide field of view, I couldn’t resist looking at two of my standards, the Veil and North America. 

7C4C0F56-D8B1-4BA3-9521-D494CAF26BBB.thumb.jpeg.622b693d4a397beab9d5f3d60fd8548b.jpegBF4ACBD1-F2F3-4BEA-B402-ED9E6859C68F.thumb.jpeg.f92e432d10927e860d47dcd76fcd9202.jpeg

Good report and phone pics. Once more it is appreciated that you have included a specific SQM reading relating to the time you were observing. Perhaps for most circumstances reporting from a light polluted sky it is not entirely necessary, I would never think on to do this myself,  yet with the choice of targets and the NV approach this becomes a relevant inclusion.    

Archived