Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No scope required 12/08/18

domstar

With clearoutside inaccurately predicting clouds, and a meteor shower at its height, I decided to leave the telescope at home and venture out with just a bread roll in my pocket and cheap binoculars in my backpack. It was great just lying down looking at the milky way and having a go with binoculars. I'd never really had a serious go at star gazing with them and it was satisfying until my spindly arms started to get tired and my eye-sockets sore. Sagittarius is great in binoculars especially the globular cluster M22, the Lagoon nebula and the Eagle nebula (in Scutum). Cygnus and Cassiopeia showed the milky way in a different way to my scope. I was really satisfied apart from my shaky hands and terrible aim. The great cluster in Hercules eluded me despite extensive efforts.

While I was resting, I saw around twenty meteors. My count would've been higher if it wasn't for nearly dozing off a couple of times. The highlight was three in twenty seconds and seeing trails from the orange ones (is that vapour?).

All in all, a lovely relaxing night and great to have no kit and just a walk up a hill. I also got a little souvenir as a mosquito bit the palm of my hand (a first). My grandfather would've predicted that I'm going to come in to a lot of money.

Thanks for reading.

Dominic

Archived