NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting SkyWatcher Synscan to Mac via Wifi Adapter

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect SkyWatcher Synscan to my MacBook Air via wifi adapter using EQMac v2.0.0 beta3.
According to the release note of EQMac v2.0.0 beta1, it supports wifi as well as serial connection. However, I couldn't find any document for wifi connection.
What I'm trying to do is..

1. Establish Wifi connection to "SynScan_WiFi_####"
2. Configure following connection in EQMac's Preference
    Connection Type: TCP/IP
    IP Address: 192.168.4.1
    Port: 11880
3. Close Preference setting

However, EQMac console is still gray out..
Appreciate if anyone share how to configure EQMac for wifi or alternative application/tool to connect Synscan to Mac via wifi.

• 4 months later...

Hi - Probably wrong Port - should be 11882 - it's incorrect in the documentation.

Hadn't realised that EQMac should work with WiFi. I've been using EQMac and Stellarium and a PL2303 Serial to USB converter for a few years - but my Mac seems to lose connection with the PL2303 Interface sometimes - during a Slew of course so you have to re-align .... Aaargh!

Recently bought a Synscan WiFi Dongle and that works fine with iPhone running SynscanPro App and iPad running SkySafariPlus6 but wanted to get it working with Stellarium on my Mac - so I can integrate it with my Canon DSLR and Guide camera processes - mind you still need wires for all the camera USB connections ? - will have to try EQMac V2 and the TCP/IP Connection in the next day or so! ?

Do you still need the Synscan WiFi connected SynscanPro running on an iPhone, and connect to that, or does it bypass that?

For info I run ALL my capture processes on macOS (Canon Utility, Canon DPP, PHD, EQMac, Stellarium) - only reverting to Windoze via Oracle Virtual Box to run DeepSkyStacker or Registax - then I post-process using GIMP on macOS. Although I sometimes use an ATIK Infinity when I have to use VBox again to run the ATIK Software - works fine.

Cheers

Terry

• 2 years later...
On 05/01/2019 at 16:53, tweeb said:

Hi - Probably wrong Port - should be 11882 - it's incorrect in the documentation.

Hadn't realised that EQMac should work with WiFi. I've been using EQMac and Stellarium and a PL2303 Serial to USB converter for a few years - but my Mac seems to lose connection with the PL2303 Interface sometimes - during a Slew of course so you have to re-align .... Aaargh!

Recently bought a Synscan WiFi Dongle and that works fine with iPhone running SynscanPro App and iPad running SkySafariPlus6 but wanted to get it working with Stellarium on my Mac - so I can integrate it with my Canon DSLR and Guide camera processes - mind you still need wires for all the camera USB connections ? - will have to try EQMac V2 and the TCP/IP Connection in the next day or so! ?

Do you still need the Synscan WiFi connected SynscanPro running on an iPhone, and connect to that, or does it bypass that?

For info I run ALL my capture processes on macOS (Canon Utility, Canon DPP, PHD, EQMac, Stellarium) - only reverting to Windoze via Oracle Virtual Box to run DeepSkyStacker or Registax - then I post-process using GIMP on macOS. Although I sometimes use an ATIK Infinity when I have to use VBox again to run the ATIK Software - works fine.

Cheers

Terry

Hey Terry,

I'm just starting to use Synscan with my Mac. Used to use it like you said (iPhone running app, SkySafari 5 pro on my iPad). I haven't used Stellarium on the Mac but I am now using Kstars - I still need to use the phone to connect to the mount though as there isn't a mac Synscan app until I get an eqmod cable (but I could do it all this on one device using stellarium and the app on my win10 pc). So, I guess to answer your question: yes, you'll still need the phone to run the app when using a mac. Also, if you want to ditch Win completely you could try Siril for the Mac which does DSS and Registax combined - again I've only just started using this too so cant really give a full thumbs up as a replacement yet as I haven't done too much with it.

HTH

Daz

3 hours ago, malc-c said:

Daz, you do realise the last post was two years ago... I would have thought the issue would have been resolved by now 😉

Yeah, I realised soon a I pressed submit 😂😂😂😂