Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

SamuraiOZ

Connecting SkyWatcher Synscan to Mac via Wifi Adapter

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect SkyWatcher Synscan to my MacBook Air via wifi adapter using EQMac v2.0.0 beta3.
According to the release note of EQMac v2.0.0 beta1, it supports wifi as well as serial connection. However, I couldn't find any document for wifi connection.
What I'm trying to do is..

1. Establish Wifi connection to "SynScan_WiFi_####"
2. Configure following connection in EQMac's Preference
    Connection Type: TCP/IP
    IP Address: 192.168.4.1
    Port: 11880
3. Close Preference setting

However, EQMac console is still gray out..
Appreciate if anyone share how to configure EQMac for wifi or alternative application/tool to connect Synscan to Mac via wifi.

Hi - Probably wrong Port - should be 11882 - it's incorrect in the documentation.

Hadn't realised that EQMac should work with WiFi. I've been using EQMac and Stellarium and a PL2303 Serial to USB converter for a few years - but my Mac seems to lose connection with the PL2303 Interface sometimes - during a Slew of course so you have to re-align .... Aaargh!

Recently bought a Synscan WiFi Dongle and that works fine with iPhone running SynscanPro App and iPad running SkySafariPlus6 but wanted to get it working with Stellarium on my Mac - so I can integrate it with my Canon DSLR and Guide camera processes - mind you still need wires for all the camera USB connections ? - will have to try EQMac V2 and the TCP/IP Connection in the next day or so! ?

Do you still need the Synscan WiFi connected SynscanPro running on an iPhone, and connect to that, or does it bypass that?

For info I run ALL my capture processes on macOS (Canon Utility, Canon DPP, PHD, EQMac, Stellarium) - only reverting to Windoze via Oracle Virtual Box to run DeepSkyStacker or Registax - then I post-process using GIMP on macOS. Although I sometimes use an ATIK Infinity when I have to use VBox again to run the ATIK Software - works fine.

Cheers

Terry

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NeilDMunro
      Hi,
      I have been attempting to update my SynScan V3 Hand Controller from V3.08 to latest version. Handset bootloader is V1.7.
      Unfortunately I just get the message “Can not connect to SynScan hand control”. I have looked at numerous forums and tried everything that has been suggested (including older versions of firmware installer), but getting nowhere.
      I am using a Skywatcher SynScan USB Adapter (purchased from Bristol Cameras) and installed the driver from the Skywatcher website. The adapter shows in the COM ports and says it is working properly.
      I have tried different computers (Win10 and XP) with no joy.
      Can anyone help, or is there anyone in North Aberdeenshire that has successfully updated their handset willing to give mine a go (once travel restrictions, etc ease)?
      Thanks
    • By Gevorg
      Hello!
      I am trying to setup the Skywatcher MC 102/1300 SkyMax BD AZ-S GoTo telescope+mount.
      What I did:
      Start from parking mode. The telescope is aligned to north. Turned it on and aligned with 2 stars. During the alignment the tracking is turning on all the time and moving the telescope position. Then when I try to go to some star the north/south motion never ends. While the East/West motion stops at right location. This is really wild to me. Can someone help with understanding what is the problem ?

Thanks,
      Gevorg.
    • By TakMan
      Picked up a Basler acA1920-155um a week or so ago second hand. Currently using Basler's own 'industry' software which doesn't offer any movie save out function, so I'm working with individual .tif files... thousands of 'em! (Hopefully James will be able to support the camera with OACapture on the Mac in the future)...
      TSA102s > Internal Baader UV/IR > Chromo Quark > Camera (so no reducer than previous goes with the DMK41). Running around 80fps which makes a nice change from just 15! All on my less than perfect tracking alt/az Nova Hitch mount.
      First image was from the 'first light' images off the camera at 8.41 this morning, 100 frames from 1400+, second 150 frames from 1660. Unlike OACapture, the software isn't overly straightforward, so I'm not quite sure what gain and gamma settings were best to use, I just tried to keep the gain low (12 from 36), gamma set to 1 (I think it goes from 0 - 4) and 10-12ms exposure. The histogram roughly in the middle... no helpful .txt file saved out with the capture, unlike OAc...
      Processed in AS!2 and ImPPG (via Wine - Mac) and the PS 2017CC
      Pleased so far but plenty to learn!
      Damian

8.41am

----
      8.51am

• By SteveBz
      Hi Guys,
      Wim has wisely persuaded me to go for an eqdir cable from my RPi to my SynScan controller. I currently have a usb:db9 + db9:st4 setup to the SynScan handset (ie 3 cables connected). Can I just change the db9 to st4 to a db9:Rj45 or similar? Eg:
       https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201608325158
      Plus an old ethernet cable? Ie does the pinout of an ethernet cable correspond to the pinout of the SynScan controller handset socket?
      Regards
      Steve.

• By laks20
      Hello 
      I have a telescope -SkyWatcher Explorer-130P SupaTrak Newtonian Reflector auto Telescope  and it has a  heavy duty tracking device ( pic attached). I have had this scope for a few years and did pretty much basic with this and never understood how to use this device. I have the time now to spend with the scope during this social distancing time and I am totally unaware of how to efficiently use the tracking. I know how to move up, down, left and right. I don't think it has wifi and it looks very basic ...please can someone explain how to set this up. Pleaseeeeee can someone help .......I have searched everywhere but I can't find any material on this.
      Also , If i buy SynScan ( with wifi ) will it work with my scope? Thanks in advance xx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.