Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeamViewer not connecting - HELP!

PhotoGav

I am trying to remote access my obsy pc with TeamViewer and it has worked perfectly from far away recently until today. Now when i try and connect it comes up with the error: 'No connection to partner! Partner did not connect to router. Error Code: WaitforConnectFailed'. Has anyone had this problem before and any ideas how can I get it up and running again? Thanks in advance...

If you remote booted the observatory PC, it could be that it didn't receive the Wake On Lan magic packet so isn't actually running? If this was the case and you attempted the boot from the Internet, it could be that you didn't have an active 'master' PC running on the same Lan as the observatory PC.

• Like 1

I use Radmin rather than Teamviewer .... but I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago.

Eventually I discovered that the laptop in my observatory had re-set it's ISP number during a Windows 10 update !  After changing the settings in Radmin everything was fine.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies Steve & Mike. I used the obsy pc successfully a few hours earlier in the day yesterday, so it was definitely awake and it was saving all-sky-camera image updates to my website, so I knew it was up and running. Fed up by about 00:30 this morning I retired to bed. On waking this morning, the first thing I did was log on to TeamViewer and try to connect to the obsy pc - straight in, no problems... I have no idea what has changed as I have been fast asleep while it has sorted itself out! Anyway, the main thing is that it is now up and running smoothly again. Frustrating that I lost a good clear night of data collection, but hopefully I can get back to it tonight. Are TeamViewer servers involved in a remote session connection? If so, perhaps there was an issue with those servers and they have reset overnight?

Meant to add - my retiring thought last night was that I should have a back up remote access system in place in case TeamViewer fails. My research pointed towards Microsoft Remote Desktop, but I will investigate Radmin too.

50 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Are TeamViewer servers involved in a remote session connection? If so, perhaps there was an issue with those servers and they have reset overnight?

Yes they are unless you have specifically set up to run via LAN only.

To set this up, try this:-

Under Options - General  -  Network Settings - Incoming LAN connections – from memory, you set this to accept and then for purely peer to peer use you select the third option which is accept exclusively.

My guess is that Team Viewer believe that their software will almost always be used over a WAN and so that is why it’s incoming LAN connections are deactivated by default. If you accept the "half way option" i.e. WAN and LAN, it always defers to WAN I think, even if the LAN option is a more reliable connection.

That’s interesting Steve, thank you.

Is this right - if I am connecting in to my home network from outside the network, I am using a WAN, however, If I am at home, connected to my home router, so within my home network, I am potentially using a LAN?

Anyway, I think the problem was down to the TeamViewer servers. Thankfully it seems to be working properly tonight. Ironically I am currently in Italy, where I always thought the skies would be better than at home, dialling in to my home observatory to gather data on M2, sitting in shorts and t-shirt, under dense, humid, light polluted Italian skies, it’s even a bit cloudy here!! Thank goodness for the remote control obsy. The ice cream is better here though!

Edited by PhotoGav

TeamViewer is currently going through an 'awkward stage' with free version users! Currently, I am unable to use my laptop PC to connect to my observatory as it has been flagged as 'Commercial User'.!!! I have filled in the necessary form to have the restriction removed and they have responded quickly confirming that I do fit their 'private use' policy requirements and have reset my account to 'free' this morning at 08:20. However, it has made no difference as I am still getting the commercial use warning and lockout .... ? I fear that this could be a long drawn out saga if other people's experiences with this particular issue are anything to go by. I guess it is just possible that they did reset my account but that their detection algorithm immediately tripped again the first time I tried it?

13 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Is this right - if I am connecting in to my home network from outside the network, I am using a WAN, however, If I am at home, connected to my home router, so within my home network, I am potentially using a LAN?

Yes that is correct if in the 'home' scenario you have set up connections to be exclusively LAN but if you haven't changed the default setting then even at home you are connecting via their servers and therefore WAN - at least, that is my understanding!!

Yes, I had that pop up too saying ‘suspected commercial use’, though it stopped appearing and all seems to be working properly. I hope you get your system sorted quickly. It might well be time to start investigating alternative remote control options...

24 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I hope you get your system sorted quickly.

It's a real pain, Gav but thankfully, it only affects my laptop, not my main astronomy PC. I am on the lookout for an alternative but TV is so good normally.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Trouble with Teamviewer for the second time, accusing me of being a Commercial user, which I most certainly am not. Looked around and found Iperius Remote, seems too good to be true. Very simple download and to operate. Only run it for a few hours so far, controlling a laptop outside with the scope, mount, filters etc, and boosted on a Belkin booster the router indoors.  Iperius connected fine and ran without trouble. It is free software. There is an Android version for a phone or tablet, but this requires Android 7 minimum (Nougat). My phone is too old!!!

If you rely on remote access ditch TeamViewer and do it now. There's a thread on the SGP forum of people being cut off for suspected commercial use, no amount of appealing will get your account unfrozen.

By opening two remote sessions at a time you're viewed as a commercial user under their revised terms and conditions apparently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you use the Chrome browser, chrome remote desktop is very simple to setup. https://remotedesktop.google.com/access/

If you have Windows Pro on the remote PC, Windows RDP is by far the superior option. From the lan just put in the ip address or computer name and hey presto. Wan connections require you to forward a port from your router to the remote pc as it's a machine to machine connection, no middle man such as Teamviewer.

On 10/08/2018 at 09:00, PhotoGav said:

Meant to add - my retiring thought last night was that I should have a back up remote access system in place in case TeamViewer fails. My research pointed towards Microsoft Remote Desktop, but I will investigate Radmin too.

I have both TeamViewer and Anydesk on my remote ( garden shed ) laptop. For times such as this when one fails...does the other fail too? if yes, it's probably a PC Down/Off issue. If no, it's probably TeamViewer playing up again ;) 

Hope you find an easy solution.