A couple from last month; LDN1235 and SH2-187

ampleamp

Dust seems to have been my theme recently as I decided to look at some under-imaged objects, and over the last month have settled on LDN1235 and Sharpless 187.

LDN1235 - I have pointed my 152/1200 at the head of LDN1235, often called the Shark Nebula for obvious reasons as the remainder of this object extends out and continues to bear a striking similarity to a shark's body.  The blue reflection nebula VDB150 (at least some of it!) is visible in this view but framing wouldn't allow it all. I would quite like to go wide on this and pull in the entire LDN, plus VDB149, VDB150 and some of the surrounds.

This is 29 x 900s L and 18 each of 300s 2x2 RGB taken with my SXVR H694.

SH2-187 - again with the 152/1200 and H694. This is an HaRGB version in an attempt to pull out some of the central detail comprising of 28 x 900s Ha, and 34R, 30G and 34B, all 300s 2x2.

Thanks for looking and any help, c&c always welcomed.

LDN1235_lrgb.jpg

HaRGB.jpg

thanks for the comments guys. Peter - i think you are right now i see this on a different machine; i might have posted the second to last version before i cropped off the green bottom and darkened the background. Will sort that thanks

Both are very very nice!

I am amazed that you had enough astrodarkness at 52° North a month ago to accomplish this kind of high quality images. No way it could have been done up here at 60° North. At that time I could read a newspaper outdoors at midnight. What a difference 8° of latitude does.

Thanks once again for the comments. Much appreciated. 

@gorann It is no substitute for astro darkness but I live on the edge of an army base which does give me a lot less light pollution than some others here. I pushed the times to the limit and had some nasty gradients to deal with but it is getting darker by the night now, much to Mrs ampleamp’s disgust ?.  

Archived