SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do You Own These Binoculars?

Cheap binoculars often are poor quality. Oberwerk Ultra binoculars are likely much better. Helios Lightquest 16x70 and Lunt 16x70 are very good too. These three cost a bit more, but they are also better value for the money.

Personally, I think the Oberwerk ultras are too heavy, and for nature observation I prefer a central focusing knob rather than individual eyepiece focusing (for astronomy it's the other way around).

8 hours ago, refractordude said:

What is your opinion of these binoculars. Had to return the Celestron 20x80 and the Gosky 20x80. Will be using them for star hopping with a red dot finder. I am interested in the 15x70 model.

https://oberwerk.com/product/11x70mm-lightweight-binoculars/

Pretty much bog-standard United Optics BA1, possibly with a few refinements. Unless a lot has changed, they are internally stopped to about 62.5mm effective aperture, prisms have a tendency to slip (causing a double image), and quality control is pretty-much non-existent (i.e. you do it). Considering you get two objectives, two eyepieces, two distinct focusing mechanisms, two prism housings and all associated tubing, all for less than the price of a single moderately decent astronomical eyepiece, it's probably best to have realistic expectations of quality!

On 04/08/2018 at 16:08, LukeSkywatcher said:

Almost all bins are rebranded Oberwerks. Including my beloved Strathspeys. 

It's a pity the Strathspey's don't have Oberwerk's Ultra spec? I would have nipped round and bought some by now (probably) but their not!

13 hours ago, Charic said:

It's a pity the Strathspey's don't have Oberwerk's Ultra spec? I would have nipped round and bought some by now (probably) but their not!

The Helios Apollo are the same as the Oberwerk Ultra (United Optics BA8)

On 06/08/2018 at 00:04, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ultra spec?

Yeah! Oberwerk have a group of binoculars in their range named Ultra.  Those are quality and I would like to try their Oberwerk Ultra 15x70 model.
Your reference that "almost all bins are rebranded Oberwerk" may have some clout but not all binoculars are equal?

21 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

The Helios Apollo are the same as the Oberwerk Ultra (United Optics BA8)

Cheers Steve. I did own a pair, for the shortest time though?

My bins had a small visible imperfection within the field of view, right on the field edge, really only noticeable during daylight!  which is how Mrs 'C' discovered it?  as the bins were still setup from the previous night, and she just wanted to take a peek to see what they were all about! then over breakfast she said there was something wrong with them?  thinking she was trying to joke with me! but no, she was right,  and during  further conversations  with the retailer and trying to self remedy, I actually received my money back, but still had the binoculars in my keep, and as they were unable to supply a replacement, they refunded before I was aware that this would happen, I just wanted another pair without any issue, for the same price, bargain, but in the end I had to return the Apollo's.

The dislodged 'particle' should have not been there ( in the view ), but regrettably now, would it have mattered if I was only uing them for astronomy.
The fact is, they would  have lost their resale value, should the time come to move them on.

As the Oberwerks are so hard to come by, I may resort back to the Helios brand again, they are, as you mention, the same. That said, there's an overseas trip coming up, so might be able to get acquire something from that venture!

• 7 months later...

Archived