Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

App to make Android screen dimmer or red

Hello,

Using my android phone when observing the sky, the bright screen really affects my tolerance to the dark. I have dimmed the screen to the lowest even turned on night mode but I'm still affected somewhat. What do you guys use to make the screen darker?

Could do with that on my laptop as well.... I know for that I could buy a red clear sheet I suppose. Good luck with the phone thing! Interesting to see although most of the Astro apps have a night mode...

This was a reason I stopped using my phone next to my scope, the display was/is just too bright, even with the app, 'SkyView lite',  its own red light 'night mode'  still seemed just too bright, whilst using the scope.

Just recently I read a thread about fitting a finder to binoculars?  and although that seemed crazy at first ( to me anyway) fitting a phone with an app seems appropriate, especially when I'm just scanning the skies, something to do! and the brightness is less bothersome for this task

As for darkening the screen, posed from your original question, I suppose some red acetate sheet, cut to size, fitted to the phone or inside the phones protective case( providing it doesn't affective screens sensitivity to touch, or place the sheet inside a food bag, with the phone.

The troubling thing is that AFAIK phone screens have the capability to be far dimmer than they allow us to set. I remember seeing a video a few years back of a jailbroken iPhone that could go way below the brightness offered by apple's default OS.

Between saving battery and your eyes, why do they limit the backlight brightness settings so? Especially on OLED phones where there isn't even a backlight - only LED pixels.

You could try this...

Settings > Accessibility > Vision > Colour Lens.

Turn this function on, select RED, increase the Opacity, and then adjust screen brightness..

looks like this if you do...

WP_20180802_16_13_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.1d7284e8e8bd88e54c19fefc07ee1a1d.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

Two apps come to mind

Sunset and Twilight.

+1 for Twilight which I personally use. Option to chose colour temp, intensity and brightness, along with specific set time should you require it.

I previously had some red filter apps that just bombards you with ads during or after using the filter. Twilight does not in this case which is a major bonus.

Archived