Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smartphone imaging

I have the Bresser one that came free with my AR127. Its actually quite good & fun to mess with TBH. Worked with iPhone 6 & 6 Plus!

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/BRESSER-Universal-Smartphone-Adapter.html

Here are some messing around quick shots while my large OTA was sat on EQ5 (so juddery) with my Sterling 25mm Plossl,  and of course having to touch the smartphone to take the picy

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

I have had good success with smartphone imaging, I used a generic adaptor off Amazon for this pic.

not too shabby for a smartphone I’d say, some eyepieces have a large diameter which goes beyond 

the adapters max size, find one with fairly large range for larger eyepieces.

A4C66427-EC75-4B1C-A1C9-7A2D003B1E34.jpeg

Take a look at my 'stupod' thread, plenty of good (and bad!) examples in there.

I currently use a Televue fonemate which attaches to many of their eyepieces via the dioptrix adaptor and works well. There are many others out there though which do the job as linked to be previous posters.

I often find it quite easy to handheld my phone at the eyepiece, the key thing is understanding where to hold it though, with longer eye relief eyepieces you need to hold the phone away from the exit lens a little bit to get the full field of view.

Feel free to post your results on my thread, you might even 'win' a StuPOD ;)

Not 100% sure on this.. just depends on how good/sensitive your Smart phone camera is TBH. I would say for iPhone - NO. But I know technology is moving quickly on new devices with better cameras!

9 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Use the delayed trigger.

Sure.. but on the first and only pic's I took here I didn't.. was only out with the scope for 30mins TBH - just wanted to be accurate for the pictures I took. However I agree, if more time effort etc I would do that :)

Archived