Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

can i see anything other than planets/moon in white area?t

You can probably still see star clusters and double stars given enough magnification to darken the background sky, however, finding them will depend on which guide stars you can see to start with. Can you see any stars with the naked eye? Enough to make out constellations? A goto telescope will be an advantage as you will only need to see a few of the brightest stars to get an initial alignment.

The best option, of course, would be to travel to a darker site to do your observing. I would think that there must be a local astronomical society. If you can get in contact with them then they will be able to give you advice on what can and can't be seen and the best places to go to observe from. 

If you can't get to another location then you'll need to do things like setting up your telescope in the most shaded part of the garden, setting up screens to block local light sources and observing with a good hood or towel over your head. I would also put a good length dew shield on the telescope even if it isn't needed for dew prevention to cut down on stray light entering the telescope.

I live in a light polluted area. Planets are good targets, so are double stars, star clusters and globular clusters and planetary nebulae of high surface brightness.  On most nights I can see stars only down to about magnitude 3.  I can see a few galaxies of higher surface brightness, but mostly not worth the effort. I do galaxy hunting on holiday. (based on 8"SCT and 5" Mak).

I would strongly advise using GoTo in urban conditions as you will struggle to find many of the above objects without it.

my backyard is pretty dark in general. neighbors dont have lights blasting. my backyard faces other people's backyards

thanks for the tips.

ill look for these double stars and try to align properly and see how my luck is. Maybe as suggested look for the orion nebula. I would love to one day go out with the local astronomy club however with kids right now that just isnt possible.

A pair of 8 * 42 bino's will help you find many more stars that you can't see with the naked eye and might help you finding the direction you want to be looking. That coupled with a planisphere.

Don't forget, with, and only with, the correct filters in place you could also view the sun plenty of advice on SGL on how to do this safely - don't try it without taking advice first though.

Archived