Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron advanced GT handset lead

Try "RJ12 extension cable" in a search engine. I added an RJ12 coupler adaptor block and 1m long cable to the handset on my Skyprodigy without any problems. Just make sure that you get the "6P6C" versions, as there are also similar RJ11 adaptors/leads, (often labelled "6P4C") but with only connections on 4 of the 6 possible positions.

I ordered a 10m handset extension cable from Astronomiser but sadly it only worked intermittently, from what I can gather it is more likely to work in shorter lengths. However the same cable works fine on my Skyprodigy Mount! How long is your cable? 

From my understanding of the handset/mount interface, the circuitry is designed round 3.3V TTL and not the sort of robust, balanced, Ethernet-style interface. The longer the cable, the more the transmitted pulse shape and amplitude will be degraded, to the point that the receiver will not change state, and this is most likely to show up as intermittent operation. Additionally, you are less likely to trip over a short cable in the dark.

Geoff

Archived