NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Action required to move to new 'Clubs' location

Mark at Beaufort

You may have noticed that we have created a new heading, above the banner, called 'Clubs'.

The plan is to move all the existing social groups and observatories to this new area. Currently there are 17 different groups some more active than others.

You need to advise me, in this thread, whether you wish your social group to be moved, otherwise the group will be closed and archived.

I look forward to hearing from someone within group for us to take necessary admin action.

Hello Mark,

I would also like to request that you move the South Wales Group to the new heading called Clubs.

Activity has been slow with our group for awhile.  For many of us, life has a way of taking precedence over our hobby at times, but I'm confident there will be a renewal of interest when the dark nights return.

Regards, Mike

6 hours ago, valleyman said:

Hopefully it will kick start some life back into SWAG and give us clear sky's too.

Pat (ghost from the Pass)

The SWAG is the star party side of the South Wales Group.

There has been I believe 7 or 8 events since the first one in 2012, few additional ones due to the change from winter to spring so not to clash with SGL.

I have tried my best to keep it running at Pencelli since 2014 with an average of 12 bookings and at best 22. 

I have been going since the second event and Tich all but one. There has been good support from the ones who regularly attend. 

It would be great to see some of the original ones again and of course some new ones.

So there is life still in SWAG at Pencelli.

Unfortunately, it is the Blaenavon meet that appeared to have suffered. Despite Mike's efforts and planning the weather  never seems to play ball.

Tony, no offence intended. As a founder member of the group but no longer active I still like to see what is happening with the group.

was really a referance to the fact it had been quite recently and not in any way a referance to the great work you do at Pencilli 

regards.  Pat

Non taken Pat, and not read as such.

I was trying to say that there are several groups under the South Wales canopy which to some is confusing. 

.....Just letting everyone know SWAG is alive and well. 

There is in the SGL's Social Groups and Observatory... 

South Wales Group

South Wales Lounge 

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) 

The SWAG group was created to steer those interested in the star parties to the relevant information and feedback, rather than trawl through all the others threads.

There is so much fragmented info bouncing about within the community it gets lost or ignored.  Perhaps with the new system proposed , and an organised community the SWG will start to buzz again. I totally agree with you Pat that the group needs some fresh ideas.

Take care

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fond memories of my first two SW Star parties at Pencelli - have good intentions of rejoining the group again this year after a brief hiatus- 3 years I think - hopefully catch up with Tony, Mike and the meet some new faces in the Autumn - keep up the good work guys

Archived