Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera Settings

Lorstin

Hi, just found out that there is a partial solar eclipse heading my way (July 13th - a Friday! ? something will go wrong for sure  ). I'm going to attempt to photograph it, I'd just like a bit of help with the settings on my camera. It's a very basic setup - I'll be using a Canon EOS1300D mounted on a 4" Saxon refractor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First, and most importantly, do you have an approved solar filter? Even though it's a partial eclipse, part of the sun will be visible and can be dangerous to your eyes. A filter is needed at all times during a partial or annular eclipse. If you do have a filter, make sure it's attached correctly and securely, and to be on the safe side, remove your finder so that you (or anyone else) won't accidentally look through it. Before the eclipse, and with the filter securely attached, you could take some practice shots of the sun to determine the right settings.  I shot images of the total eclipse last summer. I was shooting at 1/3200s during the partial phases on my Nikon camera through the scope, but you'll want to experiment to see what works best for your camera.

Totally agree about safety first.

You can make one using Baader solar film - not sure about Antipodean suppliers - this is very effective (and relatively cheap). I would only add that it is worth checking the solar filter every time before using it - simply hold it up to the sun on its own and move the image of the sun over the whole area of the filter. If there is any tiny damage to it, that spot will become intensely bright when the sun is behind it (after all, you are seeing the sun at that point unfiltered). Anything like that and it needs to be replaced - a simple enough task with the solar film.

And - just to be clear - on no account rely on one of those stupid small plastic "eyepiece" solar filters. They are DANGEROUS. You need a filter that fits over the FRONT of the telescope to filter out the light and (more importantly) heat BEFORE it gets magnified and focussed.

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

First, and most importantly, do you have an approved solar filter? Even though it's a partial eclipse, part of the sun will be visible and can be dangerous to your eyes. A filter is needed at all times during a partial or annular eclipse.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone, to save myself some typing I didn't bother to say that I had a solar filter ( it's one I made myself from solar film ). 1/3200s gives me somewhere to start, I'll do a bit of experimenting.

That's good that you are already sorted for one.

I just feel that whenever we talk about solar viewing filters need to be clearly in the mix. Maybe not so much for members, but these posts turn up regularly in Google searches and the general public may not be as savvy about these things.

If you have a telescope style finder (as opposed to a red dot finder) you could also cover that with a mini solar filter if it will help you locate the Sun if you have any undamage Baader solar film left over. 

Carole 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Hope it is still clear and you are getting some good images ... looking forward to seeing them.

Yes, on both counts. The event finished about 25 minutes ago. A perfect day weather wise. A good omen was observed just before the eclipse started - a pair of wedge tail eagles were seen soaring high close to the sun.

Here's a quick pic ( low res & no filters ) taken at maximum.

redim-IMG_0015.JPG.0b1641842f43c4b8b59c132d964d2005.JPG

For what it's worth, here's an edited RAW - used filters to take out the blue edges, and added a bit of "colour temperature" to make it look a bit warmer. Have to admit I'm working in the dark (pun intended) and I have little or no idea what I'm doing ? Any ideas on what I could do to improve the image would be greatly appreciated or is it destined to always be a fairly boring record of something that happened?

MAX-edit-IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.b93b5e54d4df36af354d6e69922927e0.JPG

Archived