Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Incoming - ZWO ASI290MM Mini

johninderby

ZWO290MM Mini Camera

After some research and thought decided to order one of the ZWO290MM mini mono camaeras. 

Will be used initialy for lunar imaging and later on for planetary. Rates very highly for lunar imaging and won't have to get into the colour filters thing right away. My thoughts on buying this particular camera is that it will be good for starting on with lunar imaging but has good planetary potential as well. Also if I do move on to a better camera later on I'll have a great guide camaera already so it will still be usefull. 

Seems to have reasonable specs for the price.

Sensor: 1/2.8″ 2.13Mp CMOS IMX290/IMX291 back-Illuminated CMOS
Resolution: 2.1Mega Pixels 1936×1096
Pixel Size: 2.9µm
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
ROI: Supported
ST4 Guider Port: Yes
Focus Distance to Sensor: 8.5mm
Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
Protect window: AR coated window
Interface: USB2.0
Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
Weight: 60g or 3.1 ounces (without lens)

Supported resolution

USB2.0 MAX FPS
1936×1096: 20.4
1280×960: 35.3
640×480: 141.5
320×240: 355.9
2X2Bin :968×548: 20.4

Anyway now to start the learning process.  ?

John

asi290-e1506067226580.jpg

Just ordered one on Friday with similar reasoning:  planetary and can be guide camera if I ever take the plunge to a more expensive, cooled camera. Would be happy to hear your thoughts when it arrives. Mine is back ordered right now. ?

Camera actually arrived on Saturday so had a chance to play with it this aft. Worked fine once I’d turned the gain and exp  right down. 

Looks like being rather cloudy tonight so don’t know if I’ll get a chance to try it or not.

Camera works OK using the OTG USB port on my tablet so it must draw very little power as the port isn’t supposed to be able to power external usb devices. 

0147E815-B834-4D5E-8720-E2284AA149FE.jpeg

738884F9-60A9-4A1F-9587-38900364F02A.jpeg

Well had the chance to check that it was working OK last night and play with the settings. Unfortuntely the moon was boiling so badly wasn't able to focus properly and the clouds covered anything else but at least was able to confirm that it worked and was able to capture images on the tablet so not a complete waste of time.

How badly was it boiling  ☹️

Yes I think the camera shows real promise when seeing conditions improve and when I get more used to the camera. . 

Rubbish single frame image which though not in focus hints at better thngs to come.  ?

John

Test-1.jpg

Seems to be a non issue for planetary imaging as the exposure times aren’t too long. I think they make ideal lunar / planetary imaging cameras which is what I bought mine for.

Also if I do go for a better cooled camera later on this will be a perfect guiding camera so will still be usefull.

It has the ST4 guide port built in and as it is so sensitive makes it ideal for detecting lots of stars which will help with guiding.

The one thing to consider is going with a mono camera makes it more complicated to get colour images. You’ll need  colour imaging filters and a filter wheel helps. A colour camera does make it simpler to get colour images.

Colour cameras can be used for guiding.  The colour 290 has a guide port so will make it easy.

For a dedicated guide camera mono is the first choice as it does have sensitivity advantages but colour will be fine in most cases. Not heard of heating issues when guiding.

Perhaps post a question asking about someone who has used the 290 colour.

John

11 minutes ago, Dragon_Astro said:

I use my colour 224 (Altair astro version), never known any issues with over heating, not like you would with a dslr.

Youre only using a 2 or 3 second looping exposure for guiding :)

Ah ok, I had it in my head it was a constant exposure. 

3 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

What's the benefit of the mini range of zwo cameras over the standard size?

Another benefit is more infocus, as the camera chip slides inside the focuser with this design.

Archived