NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

26-06-2018 Daystar Quark Chromosphere set

Ewan

Not been posting much here lately sorry, been very busy with work then getting home & working on our porch which is now done.

Pretty good seeing yesterday on the South coast.

152mm TecnoSky, 135mm Baader, Daystar Quark Chromosphere, PG IMX174 on AZEQ6-GT. Apologies for all the prom shots, i was running tests on Gamma Exp settings but thought they showed some nice detail. Best 30-40% stacked in AS!3, sharpened in IMPPG.

The 'duplicate' prom shots are different but I was tsting various Gamma, Gain & Exp settings to what would result.

Atb

Active Region 2.png

Pane 1.png

Prom 1.png

Prom 2.png

Prom 3.png

Prom 4.png

Prom 5.png

Prom 6.png

Prom 7.png

Prom 8.png

Small Active area.png

Surface & Prom.png

Nice set Ewan, just shows the difference between our results from similar setups.

I'm using PGBFly ICX692 and 35nm HA internal filter, can't see that it would have that great affect compared to the front mounted ERF.

So can only conclude it's my dodgy Quark especially as I got good images from my original one.

Turning the tuning knob from one end to the other has little effect on the view, proms look OK, filaments are very washed out and need over processing to get any contrast and surface details are hard to extract.

Dave

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nice set Ewan, just shows the difference between our results from similar setups.

I'm using PGBFly ICX692 and 35nm HA internal filter, can't see that it would have that great affect compared to the front mounted ERF.

So can only conclude it's my dodgy Quark especially as I got good images from my original one.

Turning the tuning knob from one end to the other has little effect on the view, proms look OK, filaments are very washed out and need over processing to get any contrast and surface details are hard to extract.

Dave

Cheers Dave, that's really odd mate.

In this hot weather Dave have you found the light goes on/off from Green at all because of the heat ? Yes your 'old' Quark did deliver, spoken to Jen about it yet ?

Not sure if this is correct but I turn mine from centre all the way to -5 or +5 in one go, I don't step through each setting & it seems to work fine, makes either proms vanish or surface go almost to WL levels though.

With an internal Ha filter I guess thermal currents will play a part as the sun heats the tube up ?

What software are you capturing with ?, what settings ie Gamma, Gain do you generally use ?

I have found I get better prom results using something like 10Ms as opposed to 5Ms, Gain can stay a lot lower this way but with the IMX174 noise doesn't seem to be an issue.

Wouldn't mind seeing an old Quark V's new Quark comparison Dave.

Atb

Thanks Ewan, my original spent several months going back and forth to Daystar then  they sent a replacement which they say is OK so just got bored with the whole thing, it was the run up to the USA eclipse so they were probably concentrating on flogging as many as possible before that date.

According to Daystar the tuner at centre is around 6.5 angstroms and each click moves it .1 angstroms.

Light stays green once it's green.

Spent ages fiddling with the capture settings but doesn't make any difference.

I'd be happy to invest in a front mounted ERF and a new faster camera but doesn't seem much point ATM.

Will have a search for one of my old images on here.

ATB

Dave

Thanks for viewing the images guys, gals (have to put that otherwise it's sex discimin thingy ? ) glad you liked them.

Worth having a chat with Jen again Dave ?

If you wanted too you could send it to me to test with my set up, if the results didn't improve then you know what the answer will be.

Seems some people do end up with the odd s** of a unit which is unfair really, QC should be strict right across the board mate.

Let me know your plans & post a couple of yours here if you like.

Atb Dave take it easy fella.

I don't think there's ever been a Quark standard, as we know Rupert fell out with them for setting his own standard and returning those that he didn't see as fit for purpose.

I don't think I've ever spoken to Jen, had a few conversations with the ever helpful Tiffany.

They do imply that there are superb images obtainable as they use such pic's to advertise results on their site so it's a bit of a cheek saying it will be pot luck whether you can achieve this or not.

Be happy to send it to you for your opinion to eliminate what could be the biggest problem, ME :grin:

Thanks 

Dave

Archived