Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

50/50 Roll off build

Yawning Angel

21 hours ago, JamesF said:

As a brief aside, one of the things on my list of "possible future projects" is to design a replacement alt/az mounting for the EQ6 with a sane alt adjuster.  I don't think it would have to be very complicated -- mostly just a few bolts and three or four bits of aluminium sheet cut by someone like Lasermaster.  That's for another time though :)

James

Look forward to seeing that project James! ?

The more recent EQ6 models have improved altitude adjustment as far as I recall. 

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend's progress wasn't massive, but all the cladding is now finished, including a minimum of 2 coats of paint.

Following that, I've fitted the supporting batons for the floor insulation (75mm polystyrene), trial fitted some of the wall insulation  (50mm foiled PIR) and installed the rodent mesh around the perimeter (300mm stainless). All slightly fussy jobs, that take up time with little to show, however, since everything for the inside sheeting and flooring is 'on-site', I'm hoping to hit a few meatier jobs in the very near future

• Like 2

Sure you've got enough insulation there Alex? ;) 

Seriously though - which bits do you plan to insulate? I'm just insulating my warm room walls and floor, leaving the scope room au-naturelle to aide equilibration to ambient.

Good progress being made there - excellent.

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Sure you've got enough insulation there Alex? ;) 

Seriously though - which bits do you plan to insulate? I'm just insulating my warm room walls and floor, leaving the scope room au-naturelle to aide equilibration to ambient.

Good progress being made there - excellent.

The PIR boards are only 1200x450, so it looks a lot. They are for the warm room walls and roof

Polystyrene for the floor, both sides. On the assumption its easy and cheap to do now, should I want to insulate the scope room in future ?

• Like 1

Today, in the freezing wind, it was time to drop the guttering outflow into the land drain under the obs. All good and it flows really well, so the guttering can move forward.

Managed to also fit the two under floor conduit assemblies from the warm room to the pier, so all the sub floor jobs are now complete

My ever capable Dad has taken on fitting the door hardware, during the week whilst I'm at work, so it can then be sized to fit and the flooring can commence - can't have it raining in a door hole onto my lovely ply!

This leaves me with my current evening hobby, cutting and fitting insulation for the walls - nice to have power for a light and some music

@Gina Yes, the scope side will be un-insulated other than under the floor ?

• Like 2

I'm suspecting there will be no benefit, but no obvious downside. If it needs it in future, I'd hate to lift the floor and faf with the trunking etc. For the cost of 2 sheets of 'styrene. I have painted the building quite dark, a sacrifice to aesthetic over the lighter reflecting options - so summer might suggest insulation

• Thanks 1

Yes, I'm interested in seeing how my obsy deals with summer temps, especially if this year is as warm as last. I haven't installed any means of forced ventilation but, if heat build-up becomes a problem, this is something I will consider retrofitting. My scope room walls and floor are uninsulated though.

• Like 1

I can recommend an insulated floor in the context of a kitchen extension... even at this time of year, a sunny day warms the room up! of course if I feel too warm there is always my Obs outside which is somewhat cooler.

1 hour ago, GraemeC said:

I can recommend an insulated floor in the context of a kitchen extension... even at this time of year, a sunny day warms the room up! of course if I feel too warm there is always my Obs outside which is somewhat cooler.

Sorry Graeme. Call me thick, but not sure I follow what you mean here. Are you saying you recommend insulating the obsy floor, or just a kitchen ?!

• Like 1

Sorry to confuse... the only insulated floor I have experience of is in the house, behind a big window.  Its warmed a treat by the sun which I'm pleased about.  As for the observatory.... I've just left that uninsulated.  I'm not trying to keep a warm room section as I retreat to the house if / when I get too cold...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JamesF said:

Blimey!  You've even taped all the insulation joints.  That's proper building, that is.

Looks good with the door in place, too.  I really should get on with making mine.

James

Thanks James! The door was purchased and trimmed to fit. Easy mode! The internal door will be diy, as it's less fundamental ?

Not sure yet.  When we get a break in the weather I hoping to get out and have a better look.  The EPDM looks intact from an examination yesterday but with showers and strong wind it wasn't practical to lift the EPDM and look underneath.  Couldn't see anything wrong on top.  Also, there was no sign of wet on the floor so it may be that water wicked up the plywood from the edge by the guttering.  Gale force wind and heavy rain today.

Yes I came down to Cornwall last night and the weather's 'orrid. 

Hope it stops raining soon so you can do a full inspection. From the pic it looks like the water has been seeping in for a while. Will the ply sheet need replacing d'you think? If so this sounds difficult assuming that the EPDM is stuck on top?

• Thanks 1

Yes, I think the wet has been getting in for some time.  The ply is soft and soggy but still seeming to support the EPDM (or maybe vice versa!!).  I reckon at least a part of that sheet of ply will need replacing.  To replace the full sheet would be a huge job and not practical IMO.  It will be a patching up job.  As if I hadn't got enough to do!!

• Like 1