SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

50/50 Roll off build

Yawning Angel

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Oh dear, I seem to have hi-jacked your thread Yawning Angel - sorry about that ?

You ought to start a new project thread Gina ?..... see how many threads you can keep in the air at the same time ?

• Like 1

I shall start a new thread when I get to doing repairs.  Meanwhile, the rain stopped this afternoon and the sun popped out for a while, gone in again now though.  Probably getting ready for the next batch of rain...  I was able to pop out to the observatory and have another look.  The plywood has pretty much disintegrated in a small area and the rubber is wet underneath - I was able to pull down an area several inches wide and a couple of feet long.  Looking on top I can't yet see where the wet is getting in but it's more than wicking - there was wet on the floor in that corner, though not much, so it's not a big leak considering all the rain we've had lately.  I could see that the rubber is no longer glued to the plywood all over.  I shall have to have the barge board off that quarter and the batten off the end of the roof above the guttering so that I can fold the rubber back and see what I can see.  That will need reasonable weather but at least the forecast is better for next week.

• Sad 1

Hi Alex. Just looking back through your thread. What have you done to cover or seal the sides of the roof, and the overlap between the rolling and fixed roof (when the roof is closed) to help keep wind and rain out? This isn't very easy to see in the pictures and I can't find any description of how you've done this. Cheers

Hiya, it’s a good question:

There is a GRP drip trim along the main beam of the rolling roof (the black bit), under it is essentially an EPDM strip, attached with clout nails. This strip covers the rails and gap

Hopefull the picture shows it, but I can dive out later and take a better one

4203411F-FD36-4661-AA1F-EF969559071F.jpeg

Edited by Yawning Angel

I finally made a path, after destroying the lawn ?

4FE36249-FC7F-4154-AEE1-42CD328B4D21.thumb.jpeg.219a35dbad066426bcd5f2843a752d8f.jpeg

Skimmed the mud / grass off, which was heavier work than anticipated due to being waterlogged.

Once it was cleared I laid ground matting with anchor loops to hold it down. Still loads of it left from the initial groundwork. 

Edged it with Everedge (love the stuff, but not the price!) then covered with plum slate to match elsewhere - but realised I had no where near enough. Luckily a mate is heading to the builders merchant tomorrow and can pick up a few more bags for me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Hiya, it’s a good question:

There is a GRP drip trim along the main beam of the rolling roof (the black bit), under it is essentially an EPDM strip, attached with clout nails. This strip covers the rails and gap

Hopefull the picture shows it, but I can dive out later and take a better one

Got it, thanks. How have you dealt with the gap at the front, and at the overlap with the fixed roof? 

Edited by Astrokev

Let me see if I can explain - I don't have picture showing it so here goes...

The warm room wall top beam lines up with the support rail for the front edge of the rolling roof, so when closed there is very little gap.

Along with this, the rolling roof overhangs the warm by about 25cm and slopes down with a drip trim on the leading edge. The War roof has a 25mm high lip where it meets the rolling roof all of which seems to keep it bone dry - however, if it shows signs in the future, another rubber trim or some brushes will sort it. I'm hoping to leave it and let the air move a bit

I'm still seeing a little rain along the rails under the rolling roof, but I know it's source and will staunch it once the weather improves and I can get the final top coating on the roof (the rolling roof its dropping some of it's rain onto the rails)

I'll see if I can show it in sketchup, if that'd help?

Thanks Alex for the good explanation. Just thought it'd be helpful to hear your approach as we've all seen issues of one sort or another with water ingress during our builds, and anything we can glean from each other has to be good ?

• Like 1

Floored it!

Started early today with the goal of getting the flooring done. A second pair of hands handling the 18mm ply really helped, and it was done by 3pm

So, the floor buildup is simply 75mm polystyrene insulation between the joists, vapour barrier over that and ply on top

Some details to finish in ply, around the pier and cable ducts, but that’s for later

Finishing in daylight was nice, and meant there could be photos:

Scope room from the warm room

4D31CD51-B72D-4766-8BC5-7D1A5B5904CD.thumb.jpeg.873910504c025589d592fee2057c1a39.jpeg

Warm room from the scope room

27C1B5B9-844F-4B00-871F-C61AB370EC97.thumb.jpeg.08a6c819f71850b22063ed8f34e4eeac.jpeg

Warm room / supply dump

00CD77D6-67E4-4F35-808B-2864DD1F4517.thumb.jpeg.fe37d930af0535a2396409d4ea878ac6.jpeg

The view N-E-S

C9A4E510-0DF1-4BE2-A9B6-C59FC4A3152A.thumb.jpeg.90668a0304d98db5e901cce8da3db211.jpeg

Hoping to make a rough align later to set the pier head. Fingers crossed ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...