Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

50/50 Roll off build

Yawning Angel

The controller joins your wifi as a device - you join it's network first, then bounce it over to the existing network using the app. From there you can use Alexa or their own app to manage it - or the IR remote it also comes with

I have the profile sitting flush in 9mm ply, the clips screwed to the same studs as the ply. I'd say you need 9-10mm to get it flush, any deeper and you'd have to space the clips on washers or look at drilling the profile (or glue?) - I can measure this tonight for you with more accuracy

It's worth a note: the clips as provided are very tight, and need opening out a little. I fitted the lower board, then the clips. Test fitted the profile to get the spacing, then fitted the top board. The profile fitted snug except for in one place where I needed to give it a little wiggle room with a small chisel - the evidence of this is neatly hidden under the profile ?

There are also light switch controllers, if you've a route for the cable run: Amazon...again

Thanks.

I'm using 9mm ply too, so that's good news.  No need for greater accuracy :)

The switch controller looks as though it might be using a PWM system to control the LED brightness, generating the pulses by making or breaking the return side of the circuit.  That probably rules out a standard switch.  I think I can live with that though.  And if I know I'm going to use that particular aluminium profile then I can make progress.

James

21 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

I managed to steal a few hours this weekend, so the scope room is fully lined now!

2 coats of Cuprinol on it all, then the aluminium channel went in for the LEDs. This meant that the LEDs had to go in, because it’d be a shame not to! There is some cable routing still to do, including drilling my lovely new wall, and the diffuser cover needs installing but:

2E236654-9FA3-4BD5-B31E-747C115B8688.thumb.jpeg.738972801b97fa9a6e0a3920b2411863.jpeg

Lights in the scope room:  

Looks great Alex. Very smart!

still need to think about lighting for my obsy so you’re giving me lots of ideas ?

• Like 1

Another generous offer Alex, but in this case I've decided to go ahead and place the order :D

I reckon 10m will go all the way around the walls of my scope room starting from the window in the warm room wall, with perhaps 60cm left over which I may be able to find another use for anyhow.  Having light from so many different directions should address my concerns about shadows and I can always think about some lighting in the roof if it isn't always sufficient.  I could quite possibly put some additional LEDs in and just power them from a 3-pin plug that can be coiled up and clipped out of the way in the roof when it isn't required.

I'm quite tempted to do the same sort of thing for the warm room ceiling because they're so unobtrusive.

In fact, it's giving me ideas about lighting for the barn conversion that the builder is soon starting on :)

James

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Looks great Alex. Very smart!

still need to think about lighting for my obsy so you’re giving me lots of ideas ?

It is perhaps a bit late for the recessed ones for you Kev, but I have seen similar profile that is surface-mounted.  Other than that it would work exactly the same I think.

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

It is perhaps a bit late for the recessed ones for you Kev, but I have seen similar profile that is surface-mounted.  Other than that it would work exactly the same I think.

James

Yes, it’s a bit late for recessed trunking now, but it’s good to see how LED lighting looks at this height. At the moment I’m thinking of putting the lighting nearer the top of the walls - when I eventually get round to doing this. 

• Like 1

Here are a few more photos. I’ve tried to faithfully represent the degree of lighting to my eyes. Red only, on minimum, 2/3rds of the diffusers installed

8111A7A4-E646-432C-A796-3B864B97F172.thumb.jpeg.a6c0b2b7c04f343a63033d8586e6b3cf.jpeg

My observing chair, the seat of which is white

A8778372-67A6-4020-9EBB-89F43FC10CE9.thumb.jpeg.0f9c4e54054ad01cb78800208fd326df.jpeg

Illuminated on 3 sides, diffuser on the right (and left, out of shot) not fitted between as it needs a bevelled corner cutting

1A7C5FBA-7A4D-4758-A40C-87F511E0AF3A.thumb.jpeg.5d69f18862616c10bc30b4e6b8f214d5.jpeg

Close-up, lights off, camera flash

• Like 2

Another night in the obs, working under LED light ?

Tonight I started putting together the jigsaw of flooring tiles. Firstly I assembled a 3 by 3 square around the pier, leaving out the centre tile (600 x 600 each)

With that roughly central, I marked out for the pier and cut the hole with a very sharp craft knife

Rather than take the pier top off, I chose to slot the tile and slip it around. I then managed to mark out for the cable access, cut those holes and fit it. Although it’s not completely tonight, it still looks quite smart

Once it’s all cut, I’ll lift it, label than and stick the tiles with tape, after painting the roof

B18AEAA2-4C8C-4F31-89B6-E85D6A3EE814.thumb.jpeg.19a6530eab3563c816cf199bccb83c72.jpeg

296A77AA-4A10-4F3B-A6FA-617D45A13427.thumb.jpeg.2a1e2af1ebb25fd806c02c07606cfa05.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

Beware static electricity from synthetic carpet.

That hadn't occurred to me, I have to admit.  Then again, the relative humidity in the observatory is probably going to be higher than in, say, a house.  I think that might help to reduce the problem.

James

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JamesF said:

That hadn't occurred to me, I have to admit.  Then again, the relative humidity in the observatory is probably going to be higher than in, say, a house.  I think that might help to reduce the problem.

James

You don't want your hair looking like your avatar James :grin:

Dave

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

You don't want your hair looking like your avatar James :grin:

Dave

It's possibly too late to be worrying about that :D

Having grown it until it was about halfway down my back in my 20s, I went to have my hair cut one day and just told them to cut it all short.  These days it's quite spiky all by itself :)

James

• Like 1

We’ve followed a similar hair route, James. Had it to my belt, then hit the office job and lopped it off

The carpet tiles have some sort of anti-static rating so it shouldn’t become hair raising️I suspect the foam tiles may be a different story

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

We’ve followed a similar hair route, James. Had it to my belt, then hit the office job and lopped it off

Mine went from teddy boy to hippie and now gets DIY with no1 on the buzz cutter unless my son is about, he likes to do it in a USA Marine jar head style, my wife used to cut it for me but couldn't be trusted not to shave an M in the back :grin:

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Just now, Davey-T said:

Mine went from teddy boy to hippie and now gets DIY with no1 on the buzz cutter :grin:

Dave

If mine starts to thin significantly that's exactly what I will do.  The down-side being that I'll probably get mistaken for a nightclub bouncer, but that would hardly be the first time...

James

• Haha 1