NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BBC Street lights discussion

nitram100

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol roy i know what where your coming from. look east had a go at creating a web site to highlight which areas suffered from youth behaving as youths :-) (in political and bbc jargon anti social behaviour). the idea was that people click an area on the map and record what the problem was.

well being a devious old goat i kept clicking on one area and giving it problems. the next thing the look east reporters all descended on great sailing in essex which had suddenly become the crime capital of east anglia overnight. if any children were hurt in this experiment, go and tell your mum!

mike

lol roy i know what where your coming from. look east had a go at creating a web site to highlight which areas suffered from youth behaving as youths :-) (in political and bbc jargon anti social behaviour). the idea was that people click an area on the map and record what the problem was.

well being a devious old goat i kept clicking on one area and giving it problems. the next thing the look east reporters all descended on great sailing in essex which had suddenly become the crime capital of east anglia overnight. if any children were hurt in this experiment, go and tell your mum!

mike

:undecided:, Look East is almost as funny as Mock the Week but I'm fairly sure it's unintentional...

Tony..

I accept your view, have no problem with it, you may be right, I may be right...but we do agree that there is a problem right and it needs tackling?

If its a natural phenomenon then there's nowt you can do about....other than switch of the damn street lights and at least get warmer in the dark. :thumbright:

Apparently switching off the street lights in Powys in gonna save £200K per annum. The councils pay for this, and therefore that is reflected, (not only into the sky) but in your council tax bill.

I'm gonna send a letter with my next payment, explaining why I have deducted x% of the bill, as I dont want to be paying for something I dont want or use.

Seriously, this is all very positive. If a few places start off with this, and crimes rates do not soar, then I can very well see many more towns and villages joining the movement. Good good good.

The thing that gets me, is how they nag and moan and whitter on as though it is their born natural right to a street full of hideous orange glow.

What these people fail to appreciate or "see" is that they have a born and natural right to the most beautiful, massive, and changing piece of artwork they will ever have the privilege to witness, and yet they throw that away for some percieved increase in safety.

On a side note, I used to walk my dog at night wearing a full IRA style balaclava, just to see how many people reacted. But guess what, most nights I was the only one out there. What a waste of MY money on streetlights.

Wouldn't it be great to think that the dark nights we threw away over a hundred years ago might one day start to return, even in a limited way! I'd settle for a 50% cut in light use, wouldn't you?

:undecided:

TJ

What these people fail to appreciate or "see" is that they have a born and natural right to the most beautiful, massive, and changing piece of artwork they will ever have the privilege to witness, and yet they throw that away for some percieved increase in safety.

Very well said, Tim, on all counts. Would you mind posting that on the news forum?!

There is no increase in safety whatsoever. People just "feel" safer, like kids who are scared of the dark. They don't apply any reason to it.

Andrew

I`ve got a key that i can take off maintanance panel on my annoying strret light. Then just pull out fuse which turns the light off, easy! When i`ve finished observing i just pop round and plug fuse back in, stick panel back on and bobs ya uncle! I have been doing this for a while with no complaints. I always put on my yellow hi-vis coat while i`m doing it...

P.S. dont tell anyone!

John

I`ve got a key that i can take off maintanance panel on my annoying strret light. Then just pull out fuse which turns the light off, easy! When i`ve finished observing i just pop round and plug fuse back in, stick panel back on and bobs ya uncle! I have been doing this for a while with no complaints. I always put on my yellow hi-vis coat while i`m doing it...

P.S. dont tell anyone!

John

lol that's hilarious! Where did you manage to get the key!? I've been doing the laser pen trick on one street light for a while now, it turns it off, but only for about 10 minutes :undecided:

Perhaps the less hectic pace of country living lets them get better dark adapted... either that or its eating load of

carrots :)

The "burbs" have grown out to meet us over the 40+ years I have lived in the village and all those new estates with their well lit cul-de-sacs have ruined what used to be form past memory a quite decent sky....

And the newbies complain about the cows mooing and the chickens clucking...and the ocassional blast from the 12 bore or quick rapid fire burst from the rifle at 2.am.. :undecided:

Whats the world coming to...

Around here, the lights go out around midnight and come on around 6 AM, the crime rate is the same as always, less than one minor offence a year :undecided:

Seriously, I believe it's a cultural thing, when we lived in the UK, mostly in rural locations, the lack of street lighting was a bonus. The only people to complain about the lack were folks who moved out from urban jungle. the locals standard reply was to buy a torch :thumbright: Again the crime rate was very low, in fact in one location, our neighbours never took the keys out of their car. (wonder what the insurance company would say?)

Archie

Archived