Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BBC Street lights discussion

nitram100

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its great that this debate is being raised by the BBC. Im just worried that the monsterous juggernaught sweeping this paranoid Country known as 'health and safey' will probably provail in this debate :undecided: . Nothings gonna stop me battling it out with good fight tho !! grrrrrrrr

So... everyone from SGL unite, sign up to the 'have your say' thing so you can recommend the good comments. I think its the most recommended ones that the BBC really take notice of. At the point of typing the comment from the Campaign for Dark Skies boke only 1 recommendation from top. Problem is the top spot is a complete sceptic!! One more!

Matt

SGL has thousands of members, all we need is a few hundred to completely obliterate all of those other moronic comments! It won't do anything, but it will send a very small message that we won't go down without a fight! :undecided:

edit: We're now number 1! :hello1:

Only this morning the 'Mother-in-law' was moaning about security, car break-in's etc and that a blind woman on the news........ hold on, I said 'Blind?!?!!?' Well, partially sighted, she continued :scratch: , was complaining that her sight is already compramised by the darkness already, turning off street lights would only make it worse! My question to her would be 'What are you doing out walking the streets, in the dark, late at night in the first place????' Honestly, they always jump on security or health and safety!

[i mean no disrespect to partialay or total blind persons!!]

Just seen the clip on the BBC 1 o'clock news.

I am all for the switching off of street lights. Not only do they pollute the skies with that horrible orange glow, they spoil our time as astronomers but probably the biggest problem with them is the amount of energy they use. If the councils can save 1/2 million each year then surely that money can be used for greater effect on something else.

I think that along with the streetlights, councils and the government should cut down on businesses laving lights on at night time, I assure you that if you walk down your local high street after closing time the majority will have lights on......what for? I also live within 2 miles of an up and coming industrial estate and its unblievable how many of those ultra-bright (and large) security lights they have and whats worse they're not even shaded, they just shine out to be seen miles around. Probably the most useless lighting is the ones near churches that shine upwards INTO the sky...why!?

That old biddy on the BBC news,.....walking outside in the middle of the night?? Notice how she has a massive bright white light on her porch? STUPID! What have the BBC and other news programs been plugging recently--- only old people and enegery savings, how hypocritical they are...listen love, back your council and tell them that with the money they save they should spend it on extra security measures for your home...use your head, global warming is gonna kill us all unless we act soon. I really don't understand some people.

As the good old beeb would say.....

If you have been affected after reading the contents of this thread, tell us what you think?

If you think you have been affected after reading the contents of this thread, tell us what you think?

If you haven’t read this thread but think you may have liked to have been affected, tell us what you think?

If you can’t read but think you may have been affected had you been able to read, tell us what you think?

If you couldn’t give a monkey’s about this thread, tell us what you think?

If you think your monkey may have been affected by this thread, tell us what you think?

If your monkey couldn’t give a tinkers cuss, tell us what you think?

If you would like to talk about issues raised in this thread confidentially to a trained tinker…… :undecided::) :)

RB

global warming is gonna kill us all unless we act soon.

Now that is a bit over the top isn't it,thats the sort of comment i would expect from news channels and papers trying to sensationalise a story.

lol... global warming is different kettle of fish.. to sort that mess out, we need to change are way of using all types of energy across the globe (I laugh at these campaigns to change u light bulbs and switch off to save the planet... drop in the ocean). Were just using GW as an an excuse to get the darn things turned off but shhhhhhhh. lol

Anyways.. back to topic

matt

Saturn5,

Over the top, over the top is saying that tomorrow the sun will explode but prior to that we will have a fighting chance because Bruce Willis will fly up into space and manage to detonate some nuke inside a comet, followed by Gandalf on a horse and thousands of Rohan, along with 5 puppets by the name of international rescue and Johnny Wilkinson...now thats over the top!

I don't think anyone realises the seriousness of the situation, if anything we have only heard the basics. Think about it, what drives governements and leaders? Power, and what do people with power want, more power. The issue of climate change has been dumbed down by world leaders believing that by accepting it and therefore having to reduce their own economies that they will become less powerful. Take the USA, does George Bush believe in climate change, no way...and the US is the most powerful county on the planet. Same goes for China.

If we don't change what we do now, who will? What are we going to tell our children when London is 50ft under water "oh sorry son, yeh we had the chance to make a difference. but we were more interested in making money, bombing the gulf states and watching eastenders under floodlit football stadiums surrounded by thousands of petrol burning cars"

and

"I'm sorry the crops have failed this year, I mean after it started in Africa we just carried on ignoring it, how were we to know that bee's and other vital insects would suffer, shame it spead across the world, atleast you have tins of spam to live on!"

I agree..who strayed off :undecided: All I am saying is that there are deeper implications for the reasons why they are turning the lights off and people must realise these reasons.

We all know that councils are pretty rubbish and if they can find a way out of doing anything then they will, so if they're prepared to tackle a problem then it shows there must be a good enough reason for them to do so.

(Vega, your last post makes now sense :s)

See the link on the very first post of this thread? Thats what its about.. Go to the 'have your say' bit onf the bbc website, then go to 'recommended comments' and you'll see what on earth im talking about. :undecided:

Matt

Archived