NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt Midsummer Madness Promo

36 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What other bits (filters) are needed to use the Herschel wedge (hoping enough to make it unaffordable ...)

For imaging or visual Neil? The ND3.0 filter comes with it,  for visual you just need a top polarising filter or continuum filter to make it comfortable. Not sure for imaging. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

For imaging or visual Neil? The ND3.0 filter comes with it,  for visual you just need a top polarising filter or continuum filter to make it comfortable. Not sure for imaging. 

Those continuum filters dont come cheap. 

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good though :)

When i first tried mine and saw the funky green colour i thought i'd wasted money. Now though i always use my continuum filter. It just gives that edge on detail, against not using one. After a few observing sessions, you dont even notice the colour.

I also bought a variable polarizing filter. That wasnt needed. The wedge was already polarized (who knew!!!!). At most, i should have bought a single top polarized filter.

Both filters together, cost me as much as the wedge.

120 euros for wedge (1.25")

80 euros for Continuum 

40 euros for variable polarizing

Its a good thing i already had the 70mm refrac to use. 

35 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I've been contemplating a white light wedge for the Tak so good timing. Payday in a few days ?

Next step................Ha.

Do yourself a favour (and save money)...........dive right into Ha. Dont get me wrong. WL is great, but it can get a bit boring quickly. Theres usually always something to see in Ha.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Do yourself a favour (and save money)...........dive right into Ha. Dont get me wrong. WL is great, but it can get a bit boring quickly. Theres usually always something to see in Ha.

Totally different budget, plus white light in a lovely quality frac is great.

3 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I see your point, I agree that Ha is more exciting and there is always something to see....unlike WL which can sometimes show a blank disc. 

I used to do solar a few years ago, had a Herchel wedge, PST, then a little Lunt Ha, sold along with other kit to help fund the house move a couple of years back.

I'm just thinking of dipping my toe back in with solar, and also adding another use for my Tak at this stage. Your advice is sound but it doesn't hurt to have a wedge laying around on a sunny day. Maybe next year (again) with the Ha setup, I've spent enough big bucks this year.

Archived