Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi fellow bargain hunters

steviejasp

Bit of a strange one this and im not sure if im allowed to post it :nono:

All being well ive just ordered a Meade OIII filter (1.25") for £32.99 delivered.

Its obviously a mistake on their website so im not sure if they will honour it.

If i receive it, would i be allowed to post the link as i dont want to upset sponsors etc?

I have nothing to gain from this but with the recent talk about these filters, i thought id like to

save peeps some money.

atb, steve

please remove this post if its against the rules :oops:

Hmm, not sure what the law is for online retailing. There are fairly tight regulations about selling at advertised prices, and they'd have a hard job to put up an argument if they suddenly wanted to charge you more.

If it was a retail shop, there is always the chance that somebody put the wrong label on, so many stores have a policy that several items need to be mis-priced before they will accept that there is an error. Obviously internet prices are set by the outlet, and cant be altered by shoppers, so in some ways it is only right that you benefit from somebodys incompetence.

On the other hand, they have the upper hand, as they have the stock in their place. I know if I was in that situation, and I realised you had been undercharged, I would phone you and give you a full refund because the item was "out of stock". Then put the prices straight up.

Then again, there are sometimes genuine sales, stockists trying to clear shelves, raise capital, close down etc. But you probably just got lucky and will benefit from somebody elses mistake I think. Really, the decent thing to do, is buy the item, tell everybody, but afterwards alert the retailer to his error. It's hard enough to make a living these days as it is!

As far as the law goes a retailer doesn't have to sell you an item that they consider has been wrongly priced, contrary to popular belief. How that applies to internet sales I don't know but I would imagine it's no different. However, if it is really 30 odd quid then let us all know!

The law of internet buying is quite straight forward:

The price quoted on the internet is 'an invitation to treat' and by you adding it to your baasket and paying for the goods the shop is NOT entering into a contract to sell it to you.

This differs from shops (I will explain later).

When the internet site receives the order it considers if it wants to sell you the item and then confirms your sale. As I understand only once the item is dispatched will the contract have come into effect.

In shops the price advertised is 'an invitation to treat' and when you approach the till you are in effect asking if you can trade your cash for the item and enter into a contract. The store is under no obligation to sell you the item.

When the item is scanned the contract comes into effect and you then pay for it.

The reason the law operates like this is because if you were in a shop and a contract was made when you picked the item off the shelf (meaning they had to sell it to you) then you would not be able to out it back after deciding your did not want it or the store would be obliged to sell items such as knives to children.

Case law is quite heavy on internet sales - the famous one being Argos selling a camera for about £5.00 by mistake. It was held by the Court that paying for an item on the internet is not a binding contract as the seller has the rght to reject your offer to purchase.

Hope that clears it up.

The law of internet buying is quite straight forward:

The price quoted on the internet is 'an invitation to treat'

nice one! :hello1: are you a lawyer? i am. I think I even remember the case from law school about 300 years ago - didn't it involve buying drugs in a chemist shop and the dicta was that the contract was only formed when the merchant accepted the customer's offer?

Ahhh I remember invitation to treat and contract law from about 10 zillion years ago. Also Donaghue and Stevenson which set the basis for sale of goods.

Carlill and the Carbolic Smoke Ball company was the first one I recall.

Invitation to treat was tested by the Pharmaceutical Assocation and Boots - its on wiki if you want to have a look. I think there was also one that concerned a sword for sale in a shop but I cant recall the case.

( not a lawyer - had a flatmate who was studying law and I used to help her revise )

Ahhh I remember invitation to treat and contract law from about 10 zillion years ago. Also Donaghue and Stevenson which set the basis for sale of goods.

Carlill and the Carbolic Smoke Ball company was the first one I recall.

Invitation to treat was tested by the Pharmaceutical Assocation and Boots - its on wiki if you want to have a look. I think there was also one that concerned a sword for sale in a shop but I cant recall the case.

( not a lawyer - had a flatmate who was studying law and I used to help her revise )

my favourite was the one with the sailors who ate the cabin boy.... :shock:

Archived