BAADER T2 prism diagonal haze - is this normal?

Just received a BAADER T2 prism diagonal in the post. Popped the caps off to take a look and immediately noticed a haze effect on/in the prism. When looking through the prism, on-axis, it's not visible but slightly off axis and it looks quite bad.

Is this normal/ something that's typical to prisms, or should I send it back?

20180614_121727.jpg

What model is it exactly ?

The T2 threads on mine look different from yours - flush with the body of the diagonal and anodised black rather than painted :icon_scratch:

It's crazy but I wonder if someone is producing low cost replicas of the originals ?

I wonder if this has been stored badly, causing the haze? I hope they're not that sensetive to storage, I keep my gear clean and dry but I'd hate to think a replacement might go the same way.

In the second image you can see a milky effect between the side of the prism and the casing too, bit of a badgers bottom this one.

9 minutes ago, John said:

What model is it exactly ?

The T2 threads on mine look different from yours - flush with the body of the diagonal and anodised black rather than painted :icon_scratch:

It's crazy but I wonder if someone is producing low cost replicas of the originals ?

It's the T-2 90° With Focusing Eyepiece Holder and 1.25" Nosepiece, model # 2456005-K

The finish appears to be consistent with the images on the Baader website here....

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-prism-diagonal-t-290°-32mm.html

Just looks like this one's had a hard life already!

20180614_125522.jpg

Ok, thats not the same model that I have but I still think it's very untidy for a new unit and I'm sure that the prism should be pristine and clear and the paintwork unscratched.

2 minutes ago, John said:

Ok, thats not the same model that I have but I still think it's very untidy for a new unit and I'm sure that the prism should be pristine and clear and the paintwork unscratched.

Agreed. Spoke to the supplier and they are going to get a replacement from the distributor, unfortunately it was the last one in stock.

Been practising for the upcoming World Cup footie with that one it seems! My Baader T2 prism which is coming up to a year old has no problem with any haze that I can detect, and even with the use I’ve given it in that time there are no scratch’s on any of the casing at all. Wonder if it was one that got used for dem stock and was never labelled up as such and sent out in erro? Either way a replacement is definitely required! 

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Jon does it have the Baader badge on the prism casing?

Yes it does/did, it's back in the post now. It was from one of the main reputable astro vendors so doubt it's a knock off, just a bad sample.

There was posting on CN some years back about a guy receiving an eyepiece with a handwritten note in the box from the original purchaser explaining the fault found in it.  Upon reading the post, a fellow CN'er chimed in that it was he who had written the note and returned the faulty eyepiece.  Apparently, the vendor had just put the eyepiece back into the supply chain without ever opening it.

On 15/06/2018 at 06:51, parallaxerr said:

I think this may be common practice, unfortunately. I recently bought a "new" eyepiece that had clearly been used, with scratches on the nosepiece and generally a used appearance.

I had that experience with a "new" pair of binoculars bought on ebay. Seller got one ☆ ?

Just received replacement prism from A.N.Other vendor and happy to report this one is an all round healthier chappy :)

Interestingly I can re-create the haze effect by looking through the objective end at an acute angle, otherwise it's crystal clear. The response from the previous vendor was as below, so it appears it may just be normal, if you look hard enough...

" The haze effect is just the inside of the prism reflecting back onto the surface but the scratches shouldn't be there so we will get this sent back to the suppliers."

20180620_111309.jpg

@parallaxerr To reassure you that you aren’t being told a crazy story, both T2 32 Prisms we have showed the same “haze” effect...

I questioned this directly with Baader and sent photos and got a similar answer you have Jon... 

Both have done great service subsequently. Glad you one without the scratches in the end...

14 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

@parallaxerr both T2 32 Prisms we have, sourced directly from Baader show the same “haze” effect...

I questioned this and sent photos and got the same answer you have Jon... 

Thanks Simon, glad someone else has noted it. It was worth exchanging due to the scratching on the previous example, looks like I have a good one now :)

5 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Glad it's all sorted Jon :) 

What influenced your choice of prism over mirror?

Nothing yet Rich. I've got both and want to evaluate them against each other. Some will say there's little difference, others say there's a lot, I want to see for myself.

Specifically, I want to see if I can drag any more detail out of Jupiter. I've had some spectacular high mag moments with the Equinox and reportedly, a prism can help eek out a tiny bit more detail.

5 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Nothing yet Rich. I've got both and want to evaluate them against each other. Some will say there's little difference, others say there's a lot, I want to see for myself.

Specifically, I want to see if I can drag any more detail out of Jupiter. I've had some spectacular high mag moments with the Equinox and reportedly, a prism can help eek out a tiny bit more detail.

I understand. Got a prism on order, only a 1.25, to see if I like it. So far stuck with mirrors but curiosity needs quenching. The 120 Equinoxes are great for Jupiter!

Archived