Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick! Nab Jupiter, clouds approaching!

Knighty2112

After watching 'The Sky at Night', appropriately on the Juno mission around Jupiter, the plan was to image Jupiter until around midnight when clouds where expected to crawl in. So setting up my C8 on my goto mount at 10:30pm in the back garden I noticed cloud already building up, so it became a race to get the scope set up, the laptop & ZWO attached to to get some images before total cloud out happened. I managed to get 3 files of over a 1000 images each (the first one was 3000, but I limited the next two files to 1000 each). The results of the first file is as below, which came out with some nice detail in it. Processed through Registax & tweaked a little in PS to draw out some colour. Even through the EP Jupiter was showing some great detail, and the seeing was good, so just sad that I couldn't enjoy the session more before cloud closed in to obscure the views! Image taken at 10:55pm UK time with my ASI120mc. Image flipped horizontally for correct orientation.

22_55_12_Bilinear_Jupiter_10_06_18.thumb.png.7d60ccd4a9ae05bd2dea179c0eb6dd30.png

Processed the other two files as well, but didn’t get as good a results as this first image. High cloud was starting to get in front of the planet in those runs, until finally full cloud obscured it, so I am pleased at least that I got the best stuff on my first imaging file taken. :) 

Nice image Gus - difficult at the moment, isn't it! I got a half hour as Jupiter came out from behind a chimney and moved in an arc to a horse chestnut, with clouds and owls dashing through the line of sight, and poor seeing because of heat plumes from my neighbour's house.

My best, feeble, attempt.

Chris

00_04_29rgsttxt.png

10 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Nice image Gus - difficult at the moment, isn't it! I got a half hour as Jupiter came out from behind a chimney and moved in an arc to a horse chestnut, with clouds and owls dashing through the line of sight, and poor seeing because of heat plumes from my neighbour's house.

My best, feeble, attempt.

Chris

00_04_29rgsttxt.png

Good one Chris. Nice to see that details match up in your image too along with similar colours too. Well done! I certainly wouldn’t call it a feeble attempt. It’s very good! :) 

5 minutes ago, Ruud said:

It's a good Jupiter, Gus. Lots of detail and very nicely processed!

Ta! I’m going to tweet it a little on my iPad too, as some images come out a little better from some of the photo apps I have on it too, so if I can improve it in anyway I’ll post it up later on if I think I will be worth it. :) 

14 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Good one Chris. Nice to see that details match up in your image too along with similar colours too. Well done! I certainly wouldn’t call it a feeble attempt. It’s very good! :) 

...feeble in the sense that it's too noisy, because of the seeing. I tried turning up the imaging rate and reducing the frame size to try and minimise the "wobble".

Chris

6 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

...feeble in the sense that it's too noisy, because of the seeing. I tried turning up the imaging rate and reducing the frame size to try and minimise the "wobble".

Chris

Yeah, I minimised the frame size on my two other runs, but high scudding clouds kept covering Jupiter so never they never processed as good as the first wider frame size I used on this image. 

Archived