Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

LukeSkywatcher

Want new scope for solar observing.

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Itchy trigger finger tonight. The scope i'm using for solar Hershel wedge WL, and Quark Ha observing is a Celestron 70mm Travelscope on Horizon 8115 tripod.

I need better. 

I dont want to spend more than about 200-300 euros (if i can get both a better scope of 70-80mm and Alt-Az for that budget........brilliant). I'll be buying from FLO.

Must be light and portable.

Suggestions please.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Tricky one Paul. Trouble is you need something quite fast for the Quark, which also means something of decent quality ie not Startravel etc

• Like 1

Evostar 90 on an AZ mount?

I bet my opticstar AR90 would be a great scope for this

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Tricky one Paul. Trouble is you need something quite fast for the Quark, which also means something of decent quality ie not Startravel etc

I was looking at the Startravel.

I'll take all advice. I can up the budget to about 500 euros. For that i want 70-80mm scope, Alt-Az mount and tripod (Horizon 8115 dont cut the mustsrd).

Possible?

Posted (edited)

Im looking for a "one stop shop"..........scope, Alt-Az mount and i guess tripod.

No hidden extras to be bought afterwards.

Has to be short, compact and lightweight. Think of the 70mm travelscope on steroids.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

5 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Evostar 90 on an AZ mount?

I bet my opticstar AR90 would be a great scope for this

Would be great for white light solar Jules but I do think it is too slow for the quark. Even with a 40mm Plossl Paul would be at x94 so I think it would struggle on all but the best days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Would be great for white light solar Jules but I do think it is too slow for the quark. Even with a 40mm Plossl Paul would be at x94 so I think it would struggle on all but the best days.

The AR90 is F5.5 from memory, how fast does it need to be

Posted (edited)

How about the Bresser Messier AR-102xs f/4.5? Very compact and fast and decent optics. Loving mine for white light solar. FLO seems not to have them at the moment though but might be worth asking them. 

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-ar-102xs.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtxVDIKeHvsHgMvNm1qQjvSwNQSR1aNAnE8OGAqAas9EbDL5NSOI-KRoC1UkQAvD_BwE

0BD90079-119F-4388-BB2D-D46BBD4D43EE.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Size (compactness) and weight is paramount. best optics for cost.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

12 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

The AR90 is F5.5 from memory, how fast does it need to be

Ah, sorry Jules, thought it was f9 or 10 like the evo 90.

The answer is that would probably be ok but also depends on how much spherical aberration it has as to whether you end up with a good result. Don’t know how these scopes perform.

The AR90 is now just available as an f/8,8 I believe. They still do a faster 80mm version but listed as a guidescope.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The AR90 is now just available as an f/8,8 I believe. They still do a faster 80mm version but listed as a guidescope.

Thanks John, that was the one I was thinking about. Great for white light but too slow for the Quark I think...

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks John, that was the one I was thinking about. Great for white light but too slow for the Quark I think...

I want something kick ass for Ha..........within budget.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

The AR90 is very well corrected, worth looking out for one but as stated not available new no more, pretty sure i got the last one

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

John, good find, i had an original starsky 90, and why i got the AR90 when i needed a nice little widefield

I had a Starsky 90 as well and was impressed with the optics for the price.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry.Double post.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I don’t think you could use your Herschel wedge in this Paul. They are made to use in refractors. Can’t help much with the Quark. I decided on a Lunt scope because of the problems you are facing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, johninderby said:

I had a Starsky 90 as well and was impressed with the optics for the price.

I had the original black starsky 90 and really liked it, sold it as i had to many scopes, then years later got the opticstar as its same scope, sadly i dont seem to use it, but its there for me if i do want to use it

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

How about the Bresser Messier AR-102xs f/4.5? Very compact and fast and decent optics. Loving mine for white light solar. FLO seems not to have them at the moment though but might be worth asking them. 

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-ar-102xs.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtxVDIKeHvsHgMvNm1qQjvSwNQSR1aNAnE8OGAqAas9EbDL5NSOI-KRoC1UkQAvD_BwE

0BD90079-119F-4388-BB2D-D46BBD4D43EE.jpeg

Now that could be very interesting for the Quark, decent aperture and shorter focal length, should get full disk views just about  I think? Again it depends on things like level of SA to know how when it would perform with the Quark but well worth a try I should think.

And the Bresser has a decent 2.5” focuser as well. 

Paul be patient with any purchase...... save up and by a nice 100mm 🔭 you may as well get the full benefit of the Quark. There are plenty of scopes about you just need a little bit more cash..... if you simply can’t wait maybe you could consider buying a second hand set up.

20 hours ago, laudropb said:

I don’t think you could use your Herschel wedge in this Paul. They are made to use in refractors. Can’t help much with the Quark. I decided on a Lunt scope because of the problems you are facing.

Of course. What was i thinking.