Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Want new scope for solar observing.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Now that could be very interesting for the Quark, decent aperture and shorter focal length, should get full disk views just about  I think? Again it depends on things like level of SA to know how when it would perform with the Quark but well worth a try I should think.

Im liking this one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Pig said:

Paul be patient with any purchase...... save up and by a nice 100mm ? you may as well get the full benefit of the Quark. There are plenty of scopes about you just need a little bit more cash..... if you simply can’t wait maybe you could consider buying a second hand set up.

Save up?. Me?. 

Haha..........i only set myself a budget of 300 euros. Its not written in stone.

The deed is done.

I just ordered one of these: Bresser ar102xs

By all reviews, the finder,diagonal and EP are all a bit rubbish. The scope itself gets great reviews. Im holding off buying a new tripod/mount until i see how well my Horizon 8115 deals with it. Its fine really. It just needs a few bits tightened up. 

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. The price was/is just under 300 euros (240 Pounds). I bought from Harrison telescopes.

Quite excited. It should be a good all rounder and easy to grab n go on nights when the 8se isnt used.

ar102xs.jpg

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Great news. Think you’ll like it. Very well built but the accessories are rubbish except for the eyepiece which is actually quite usable. At only 2.8kg might be OK on your Horizon tripod for now.

If i do get a new tripod/mount, would the Vixen Porta II be a good choice?. The 70mm Travelscope can now go into retirement or i might give it to the kid across the road who i gave a pair of 10x50 Strathspey bins to.

17 minutes ago, johninderby said:

My 1st thought/choice would be AZ. I was thinking AZ4, but AZ5 is nice.

Would you suggest mount and tripod?. Whats the tripod like?. 

Tripod should be fine as i observe from seated position so always have tripod on shortest height.

OK...........off to spend more money.

LOL.

I bought the tripod and mount. Saves any hassle in the future if the 8115 aint up to the job. 

Im now about 550 euros poorer than i was an hour ago. Not to worry, i saved a wad of cash being in hospital for 7 weeks. Thanks to all for helping me spend my money. Its fun to help people spend.

Haha. 

resize.jpg

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I always enjoy helping someone spend their money.  ?

The AZ5 is the head I would have gone for if I didn’t already have my Manfrotto 405 head.  

Its nice to spend and have no regrets. im forever buying and then 2-3 hrs later i cancel the order.

Not this time. I feel like a proper astronomer now. This will be my 5th scope. Two are in retirement (90EQ and 70mm Travelscope). Still use my Heritage 130p and 8Se.

I was going to recommend an ST120 , focusers fine

with a Quark ect , but would need a 35nm erf at least

and a reasonable mount.

They're not very wedge friendly but I think H wedges

are much better with longer FL otas.

Brian 

On 13/06/2018 at 12:44, Moonshane said:

I think you'll enjoy the scope Paul. It will be a substantial improvement for all observing over the 70mm.

I was only thinking 70-80 mm because thats what i was used to for Solar observing. Now i have a Quark.......it deserves a bit more respect. 

The only thing i dont have and would like to try is a binoviewer and a couple of quality EP's  (TV perhaps). 

Different thread. Watch this (that) space.

Archived