Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NASA press conference on Mars discovery today

Knighty2112

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly a 'signatures of life' twist (isotope ratios  - can they do that by spectroscopy?' or 'past atmosphere could have supported life'?

Edit - yes they can use 'tunable laser spectrography' to distinguish between C12 and C13 as 'indicators of biogenic activity'.

My guess is carbon or something else ratios in rock 'infer' past presence of biological activity.

I thought this revelation was to be revealed at 1800 our time. They're  just repeating a questions and answers between 
Students, and two ISS crew members, and a Nasa Birthday celebration.
Goodness knows when they will get around to the big News :D.

24 minutes ago, barkis said:

I thought this revelation was to be revealed at 1800 our time. They're  just repeating a questions and answers between 
Students, and two ISS crew members, and a Nasa Birthday celebration.
Goodness knows when they will get around to the big News :D.

18:00 GMT - 19:00 BST

4 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Playing now. The big reveal is organic molecules have been found on Mars.

Pretty cool find! One step closer to detecting life out there somewhere other than Earth :) 

And I was thinking the curiosity had trapped  a Martian Hedgehog under it's wheel.
I'm no Chemist, so I have to leave it to those who are to explain the Importance, or otherwise of
these findings. They must be important of some magnitude,
otherwise they wouldn't be making a big thing of these findings.

Apparently the methane gas levels are seasonal, but the can’t tell at the moment if this methane is from a biological origin, or just a chemicl reaction with certain substances. Higher levels recorded in spring and summer.

Clathrates are just methane frozen into water ice. The diagram suggests the source could either be biological or geological.

Alternatively it could be from degrading surface material.

They say the reason it drops is that UV converts it into formaldehyde that degrades to CO2 and methanol.

Archived