"Wow!" moments with the travel scope

Size9Hex

First camping trip with the 72ED travel scope which impresses with the views it serves up.

The best bit was sharing the eyepiece with a few other folks on the site. Fair to say that Jupiter and Saturn absolutely floored everyone. Gasps of amazement, again and again. I think that their reactions were more enjoyable than the views through the scope. Try to look at your favourite old targets as if it were the first time!

Jupiter, GRS, 90x. One night, the GRS was on show and quite apparent as a small dot in the eyepiece. Various inexperienced companions also identified it after I asked them if they could see a spot. We were all impressed to realise that Io had emerged from Jupiter’s shadow at one point.

Jupiter, Io transit, 90x. On another night, I think I saw Io’s shadow on the disk, although it was a rushed observation before the cloud hit and I can’t be totally certain. This feature (or rather Io itself) is 1.1" in size according to Sky Safari, which is small for a 72mm scope, if indeed I did actually see it.

Jupiter overall was lovely. It was clear in the eyepiece that this is a richly detailed planet, especially in the NEB, but in this aperture the detail is hard to put your finger on - something in common with an averted vision view in some ways.

Jupiter, 18x. A superb and unusual (to me at least) wide view of the Jovian system. Small but perfectly formed. Stars all over the field including the bright double Zubenelgenubi. Never seen anything like it in the dob. Just beautiful.

Saturn, 90x. First view of the year and well worth staying up for. We watched it rise, with first viewing when the scope was pretty much parallel to the ground. Still only 10 degrees above the horizon when I turned in. Interesting comparing it to what I can remember of the view in the 10" dob from the last few years. The Cassini division wasn’t really visible (possible hairline glimpsed once), but the bright B ring was distinct from the slightly darker outer A ring. A subtle tonal difference on the disk too I think, which I don’t recall ever seeing in the dob. I wish I had more experience observing Saturn - I rather suspect there were some features up for grabs that I missed.

Various others included the North America Nebula, a marginal Veil (wishing I had packed an Oiii!), Antares ("What’s that red star?") and nearby M4 as a relatively bright and attractive mist requiring no searching. Epsilon Lira split beautifully at 90x and a welcome first view this year of Albireo, although somewhat subdued in the twilight sky.

Clear skies and happy travels! ?

Great report, Paul. :)

Observing planets at low power can be interesting, particularly on some threshold Moons. I managed to catch Rhea with my TV60 at just less than 30x. It was completely gone at higher mags. 

Great report.  I really enjoy showing absolute beginners the wow objects through a scope such as Saturn and the Moon.  It is fantastic to hear the superlatives (and sometimes more colourful language) they utter with that first view.

And you should be confident in the Io transit observation.  I have pulled that with my 60mm Takahashi. 

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That 72ED is reading a cracking travel scope.

I really like it - thoroughly impressive as a small, capable and versatile scope. I’d caveat that if I was off for a once in a lifetime trip to see the southern deep sky, then something like a small 100mm reflector might be on the shopping list - less versatile, but more horsepower on the faint stuff.

27 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Great report.  I really enjoy showing absolute beginners the wow objects through a scope such as Saturn and the Moon.  It is fantastic to hear the superlatives (and sometimes more colourful language) they utter with that first view.

And you should be confident in the Io transit observation.  I have pulled that with my 60mm Takahashi. 

Thanks Matthew, totally agree. Last year, my neighbour nearly fell over when he looked at the moon through my 10"! Thanks for your point re. Io - it does give me some confidence and it’s helpul to hear what other folks have experienced. Kudos for your Alpha Lyra site by the way!

Super report Paul :thumbright:

Lately I've found observing with a smaller scope very rewarding when I was getting a bit frustrated with the hobby. I'm hope to take my 70mm TV Ranger to Australia when we visit later this year. Don't think I can fit anything larger in !

Great report Paul. I do love what these small scopes can do under a good sky, and they are so much easier to get there!

As others have confirmed, you will have been able to see the Io Transit, I have done the same as Matthew and seen one or two with a Tak 60mm so 72 is easy pickings. 60mm will do the Double Double and Izar too, amazing what you can actually see. Do take an OIII along next time as the NAN is lovely in such a wide field.

1 hour ago, Size9Hex said:

Jupiter, Io transit, 90x. On another night, I think I saw Io’s shadow on the disk, although it was a rushed observation before the cloud hit and I can’t be totally certain. This feature (or rather Io itself) is 1.1" in size according to Sky Safari, which is small for a 72mm scope, if indeed I did actually see it.

Loved that report... I could taste the excitement ? 

I was so pumped when I saw the transit of Ganymede a while ago I had a small plaque made up for my EP Box... At first like you I wasn't sure, but after a while I could see the definite shadow. I later confirmed it on the moons of jupiter app...

Well done getting that hit and congratulations on having a great session.

9 minutes ago, John said:

Super report Paul :thumbright:

Lately I've found observing with a smaller scope very rewarding when I was getting a bit frustrated with the hobby. I'm hope to take my 70mm TV Ranger to Australia when we visit later this year. Don't think I can fit anything larger in !

Hope the frustration doesn’t last. I’ve felt a little jaded on the hobby from time to time too, but a short break, or a change in equipment or the type of target helps. The small scope views do seem refreshing to me. Even M13 (which I won’t pretend for a second doesn’t benefit greatly from a massive dob) was nice to observe in the totally different perspective offered by the small frac. In fact, one of the most beautiful views I’ve had were of the partially resolved Auriga Messier open clusters in 50mm binos.

Envious of your trip - should be awesome! Depending on logistics, first priority perhaps to find an astro shop near the airport and ask them to tie a dob to the roof rack on the hire car! ?

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great report Paul. I do love what these small scopes can do under a good sky, and they are so much easier to get there!

As others have confirmed, you will have been able to see the Io Transit, I have done the same as Matthew and seen one or two with a Tak 60mm so 72 is easy pickings. 60mm will do the Double Double and Izar too, amazing what you can actually see. Do take an OIII along next time as the NAN is lovely in such a wide field.

Thanks Stu, starting to feel more confident about the transit following the replies. I guess the feature was so small relative to the Dawes limit that I was hesitant to believe it, even though extended features are sometimes possible inside the limit. I only had space in the case for one filter and the UHC was grabbed without much consideration in the rush to get out of the front door! ?

I'm thinking of adding an O-III to my travel scope kit as well. I currently have a UHC which is good but I know the "punch" than an O-III can pack even with smaller aperture scopes. My Ranger is 1.25" only otherwise I'd be able to use my Lumicon 2" O-III. Maybe time to look out for an Astronomik 1.25" O-III - I used to own a 2" one and found it very effective indeed :smiley:

9 hours ago, Size9Hex said:

I guess the feature was so small relative to the Dawes limit that I was hesitant to believe it

I think the key thing is that the shadow transits are very high contrast features and that somehow helps. You would struggle with a moon Transit (perhaps possible right on the limb?), but shadows are quite possible.

An OIII should be quite useable under a dark enough sky and with good dark adaptation, well worth a try.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:31, Size9Hex said:

The best bit was sharing the eyepiece with a few other folks on the site. Fair to say that Jupiter and Saturn absolutely floored everyone. Gasps of amazement, again and again. I think that their reactions were more enjoyable than the views through the scope. Try to look at your favourite old targets as if it were the first time!

Great report Paul, always rewarding to have people taking a look at the planets for the first time, those reactions are the best.

Archived