Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies.thumb.jpg.a20cdbfeadc049807f6d78e6c00ee900.jpg

Hi, currently own a canon 760d with 18-55 kit lens and 55-250.

What would be my best next purchase for milky way/night landscape. A sw star adventurer or a faster lens. 

Cheers 

A faster lens , say a 2.8 14mm will get the light on the sensor quicker but only for that lens. A star adventurer can make any lens you have get more light in by following the motion of the stars. Also gets you into some DSO work if you want to progress.

I did have a SWA a few months ago but due to local light pollution I got frustrated and sold it within a week or 2. Now with god weather I regret it as I'm in the mood for cycling out to a darker area with a flask and a spend a few hours somewhere more suited to taking pics. Maybe I'll grab another mount 

3 minutes ago, celestron8g8 said:

I've heard the Rokinon 14mm is very popular for MW shots and night time landscape . Just have to search to find one but here's a review on one . 

https://www.dpreview.com/products/rokinon/lenses/rokinon_14_2p8

I looked at that a while ago under the samyang name, seems the 16mm is a more popular one for AP though. 

• Like 1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your current kit.. you can very successfully start with what you have.

• Like 2

You can have fun with the kit lens and a tripod to start with !

Milky Way

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

You can have fun with the kit lens and a tripod to start with !

Milky Way

What kinda setting and exposure time created that, also what kit? 

13 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your current kit.. you can very successfully start with what you have.

Well that advice doesn't get me a shiny new toy does it. Lol

3 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Well that advice doesn't get me a shiny new toy does it. Lol

Why didn't you say you were fishing for new toys.. in that case, nothing other than a Canon 1Dx or a Canon 5DsR, with a 24-105mm L series lens, a 16mm Wide angle and a 200mm f2,8 L series lenses will suffice. ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Why didn't you say you were fishing for new toys.. in that case, nothing other than a Canon 1Dx or a Canon 5DsR, with a 24-105mm L series lens, a 16mm Wide angle and a 200mm f2,8 L series lenses will suffice. ;-)

Now that's better. Can you cc that reply to my bank manager to convince him now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

Now that's better. Can you cc that reply to my bank manager to convince him now. 

certainly.

• Like 1

I like toys, if it were me though I would go for a Samyang on a fixed tripod as it can be used for landscapes/nightscapes and meteors or even cloud formations :icon_biggrin:

Alan

3 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I looked at that a while ago under the samyang name, seems the 16mm is a more popular one for AP though. 

Yep , that’s a good one too ! Not much difference in 2mm ;) .

Posted (edited)

Definitely get the Rokinon (also branded as Samyang) 14mm f2.8 (for the cine version of the lens the f ratio is measured as t3.1)

i got mine recently and could take a 15s exposure at iso1600 with my trusty old canon 550d (without Star Adventurer) producing this after some adobe Lightroom tweaking. And yes definitely buy Lightroom also

4C4D7CD4-CA70-4FB4-982B-A2C2A5A8C750.jpeg

Edited by lnlarxg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lnlarxg said:

Definitely get the Rokinon (also branded as Samyang) 14mm f2.8 (for the cine version of the lens the f ratio is measured as t3.1)

i got mine recently and could take a 15s exposure at iso1600 with my trusty old canon 550d (without Star Adventurer) producing this after some adobe Lightroom tweaking. And yes definitely buy Lightroom also

4C4D7CD4-CA70-4FB4-982B-A2C2A5A8C750.jpeg

I originally looked at the 14mm a while ago but was told the 16mm is better as it f2 . did you have any reason for choosing the 14mm over the 16mm? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2018 at 21:09, Anthonyexmouth said:

What kinda setting and exposure time created that, also what kit? 

Canon 1100D - kit lens - 20 secs at 800 wide open.

Edited by Skipper Billy

2 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I originally looked at the 14mm a while ago but was told the 16mm is better as it f2 . did you have any reason for choosing the 14mm over the 16mm? 

Ah, that’s because I didn’t know it existed until 3 minutes ago :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lnlarxg said:

Ah, that’s because I didn’t know it existed until 3 minutes ago :D

Ah fair enough. Wondering if the price difference is worth the extra stop