NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beautiful Saturday Sun

Pig

A lovely blue sky here this morning so I decided to get the scope and Quark out to play.

There are some delicate prominences in the one, five , seven and ten O’Clock positions that are worth having a butchers at ? they are not massive but they are very detailed and all very different. I cannot see any spots in Ha anywhere on the disc but the granulation is giving that lovely mesmerising and kaleidoscopic effect .... time for a fruit salad with lemon Greek style Yoghurt and then back out I go..... Enjoy the sun today and the stars tonight ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Have a great day, looks like a very promising bank holiday :icon_biggrin:

Steve

Hiya Steve.... thank you, it certainly looks for a great weekend of stargazing ?

Didn't get to bed until 4.00am so bit late to solar today, proms not as big as yesterday but still nice, seeing no better than yesterday I thought the Gulf Stream was supposed to have headed north.

Don't forget the sun cream :)

Dave

It has been like summertime here. I've been out with the maksutov for a bit of white light observing. There's a couple of very small spots that when I got good spells to see any detail were elongated and roughly parallel to each other with a small gap in between, but it wasn't holding up past 95x and even below that it was coming and going.

29 minutes ago, Pig said:

I will have to buy myself another Herschel wedge at some point..... I do like the spots ?

The baader one is great with the Tak! 

20170816_174831.thumb.jpg.15825835eb24cc8f16757b8ca0a5f4a9.jpg

It certainly is a fine day, in White Light AR2708 is visible at the 13:00 position.
Small but its present and so made it nice from a blank disk.

IMG_3119.thumb.JPG.540a41af8024b0b47ab25f6ef1a9f560.JPG

Sunny and nice and a Bank Holiday weekend, unbelievable but rather nice.

Just had a couple of hours observing the Sun. :cool: 

A small group of little sunspots was visible. Very interesting targets were a great granulation and a group of faculae just above the sunspot region. Granulation was impressive at around 200-230x. The seeing was not too stable to allow the HR 2.4mm over here, but my loyal ZZ+VIP combo did a great job!

Now waiting for Venus in sunset/twilight. :) 

20180505_172505.thumb.jpg.d128dde42577f42de11b827f04daa7e8.jpg20180505_172207.thumb.jpg.8fd056081a81a71f65d6e8f0a6fecf5d.jpg20180505_172139.thumb.jpg.675ddd279421040d5344dc1f12aea860.jpg

Lovely day - good seeing held here until about 3pm, but still reasonable after that. 

It's always nice looking at a near blank disc on Gong and then finding much more going on through the scope. In particular with the  binoviewer - big difference between cyclops and binovs today. 

Like everyone, I appreciate the extra comfort and detail that binoviewers provide. But it's also amazing how they compensate for eyesight imperfections. I have a much weaker right eye than left. Today - with long eye relief 25mm Fujiyama orthos - I spent 30 minutes comparing  binoviewer views with and without glasses. Couldn't detect any difference. 

21 minutes ago, Pig said:

I am still in bed after a very late session last night ..... I best go have a look outside ??

Man up Shaun, I was in bed at 4.30 and up at 8.00 :grin:

Dave

25 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Man up Shaun, I was in bed at 4.30 and up at 8.00 :grin:

Dave

I know... but I work all week and need some rest ?I was awake over 24 hours in total ?

This is also a gender neutral thread so I guess it is not “ man up “ ?

8 minutes ago, Pig said:

I know... but I work all week and need some rest ?I was awake over 24 hours in total ?

This is also a gender neutral thread so I guess it is not “ man up “ ?

‘Person up’ doesn’t have quite the same ring to it!

35 minutes ago, Pig said:

Errrrrm not sure if that’s totally gender neutral Stu ??

Well if it’s not, I think I should back out of this conversation so as not to get in any further trouble!!!

Just had a late afternoon peak in white light. The main AR showing nicely and I can detect the other one although no spots, just light areas (plage?)

The granulation is mesmerising when the seeing settles for any time.

Archived