Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Astro upset by Stellarvue

madjohn

I don't believe my luck! after posting my LX200 12" GPS on Astrobuysell to get the money to buy a SV Stellavue, Altair Astro who are the only official dealer in the UK say they arn't going to deal with them as Vic Maris keeps giving them Rubbish when it comes to delivery times prices etc.

I really had my heart set on one, Altair have suggested a TMB or Astrotech scope, have any of the Stargazers community owned either of these two scopes and give me some idea which is better?

I'm looking for a apo scope with the best colour correction and contrast as possible as my primary interest is planetary and the brighter deep sky observing(Messier Caldwell etc)

I will be trying some imaging too but only dabbling.

my budget is about 3.5K which has got to include a sturdy mount.

I still can't believe I can't order a Stellarvue after all! :nono:

Cheers all

:undecided: I wasn't aware that you could order direct, I thought it was like builders merchants where they won't deal with the general public and you have to deal via a merchant, do you know something I don't?

Cheers John :salute:

John,

Optcorp are authorised dealers by most of the main manufacturers. www.optcorp.com

Two things. 1. Check the delivery costs in advance and 2. Be prepared to pay the customs duty.

Also check the Televue scopes as an alternative, should fit into your budget c/w a nice Ethos eyepiece.

John

I purchased an Astro Tech 102mm APO Refractor in April to be carried on the new SkyTee Alt Az mount. In addition I bought several Hyperion EPs to be used on a 2” diagonal plus the Moonfish 30mm 2” EP.

The Astro Tech has the better quality Featherlite focuser so the current cost is about £800 from SCS Astro. I can state that the scope has no CA - in fact I studied the Moon last night using the Hyperion zoom + an Antares APO barlow and at no time was there any colouring on the Moon’s edge. The same position has been with my viewing of Jupiter, albeit too low in the sky!!

The images with the Hyperion EPs are sharp across the whole FOV and the Moonfish with its 80 degree FOV is pretty good across 85+ % of the field.

I have studied many DSOs over the past few months from both the Messier and Caldwell lists - in fact it is only NGC891 that has beaten me.

My setup with the SkyTee mount plus EPs has cost me about £1500 (not including the WO SD66 which I had previously). This is a wonderful grab and go setup and could be improved for astrophotography by simply the purchase of an EQ6 or HEQ5 mount.

I attach a photo of the setup.

Mark

Hello,

:) I wasn't aware that you could order direct, I thought it was like builders merchants where they won't deal with the general public and you have to deal via a merchant, do you know something I don't?

Cheers John :salute:

Yes - you CAN buy direct from Stellarvue, as I have done in the past.

In fact, its quite simple: -

1] Select product(s)

2] Call / email Stellarvue for a shipping quote - you can select your preferred courier :undecided:

3] Stellarvue will email quote

4] You pay via PayPal

5] Stellarvue ship product(s) via agreed courier on confirmation of payment

I've always preferred to call myself, and on quite a few times, I actually got Vic on the phone - even on a Saturday!

Being honest, I've actually completely given up on buying astro gear in the UK (though I'm sure you're sure to guess why, these are off-topic for this thread) so have found dealing directly with Stellarvue and others abroad to be quite straight-forward. As far as Stellarvue goes, I've bought two scopes, accessories, finders, rings, etc directly over 5 separate transactions this year - no problems.

Saying this, I always go for FedEx, UPS or USPS International Priority Airmail so you may wish to take this into consideration.

Give Vic a call, I'm sure he'll be only too happy to sort you out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

astro84

Archived