Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

barkis

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s

a very long list ! And personal to each and evryone of us ! My interest in astronomy started aged 8 i picked up a book on a shelf in our scout hut i was a cubscout aged 8 the book are rare 1st edition of the story of the heavens by sir robert ball hand painted illustrations of all of the best celestial objects which when many years later observed directly matched the illustrations or exeded them ! These days hi res hubble pictures images etc may disappoint the current newbie or younger generation as the direct visual view dosen’t look like or live up to said images or hype !

My avatar nickola tesla electrical genius visionary inventor of our modern electric centred world

where would the stargazers lounge and any of us be today without steve jobs or bill gates ? Worthy avatars ?!

Growing up in the 1960’s 1970’s  one small late night progamme fired my imagination The sky at night  well past my bedtime but allowed !

patrick moore another worthy avitar

Donald campbell pushed his bluebird k7 across coniston water in 1966 /67 at speeds faster than a bugatti veyron does today on stable flat tarmac !

All of our lives are formed and shaped in many different ways but the common thread is that we have all got into astronomy in many different ways down many different paths ,but have come to enthuse over it /love it for many different reasons ,but this is the avatar we all have in common !

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I decided to cheer myself up with another change... puts a smile on my face and symbolises what amateurs can contribute, but has someone beaten me to it?

It was always likely there could be joint choices, matters not one Iota Stub. ?

Kristian Birkeland.

From Wikipedia - 'best remembered for his theories of atmospheric electric currents that elucidated the nature of the aurora borealis'

BUT, in order to fund his work he took to a number of more profitable ventures and also founded what is now one of Norway's largest companies.

He invented an electromagnetic cannon, which promptly blew up due to an electrical short at a demonstration, but he met an American engineer who was at the demo. Sam Eyde was looking for a way to produce lightning for a new fertiliser production process. The two men got together, an industrial giant was born.

His most important work though was the aurora. He proposed that polar electric currents, today referred to as auroral electrojets, were connected to a system of currents that flowed along geomagnetic field lines into and away from the polar region. These currents are known today as Birkeland currents in his honour but the theory was controversial for about 50 years, his main opponent being Sydney Chapman who argued that currents could not pass through the vacuum of space.

He worked in a number of other areas as well, his bio is worth a read. 2 worthwhile books - 'The Northern Lights' by Lucy Jago and 'Kristian Birkeland: The First Space Scientist' by Alv Egeland.

He met a somewhat awful end though. Overdosing on Veronal which he was taking for insomnia in Tokyo. Some have said it was suicide.

Check out

THe HAARP project nikola Tesla got their first .But in alaska Robert eastlunds project seeks to heat portions of the ionosphere purpose research haarp stands for high frequency active auroral research programme ? ! Along the lines of the previous post ?

check out the patent Weather modification is one possible application among many others ! Conspiracy theory ? !

pumping millions of watts of energy into the upper atmosphere with impunity can’t be a good thing can it ?

Im all for advancing technology , but not at all costs , and which puts our health and lives at risk !

As nick begich said and was the title of his 1995 book.  ANGELS Don’t PLAY THIS HAARP !!

Archived