NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen Scope and GP Mount - Anyone get it?

Stu

Was watching out of interest to see how much this went for on eBay. Not a bad price in the end, £310. Lovely scope and mount, someone got a nice setup!

Anyone on here get lucky? :) 

EF116150-6A38-4537-8B51-5F5500F419D4.png

Just now, wookie1965 said:

Is that the vixen gp mount the same as the EQ5. What size is the scope. I have been looking out for a 5 or 6 inch refractor see what prices are. 

It was the 4 inch f10 achro... nice scope!

The Vixen GP mount is far superior to the EQ5, a different class of engineering.

I followed with interest, not as a buyer as I have a Vixen 4" apo already, but out of interest as the vendor was only 10 miles away.

The eyepieces (or a couple of them at least ) were Meade Plossls, so almost certainly Series 3000 with the green lettering.

The GP mount was branded Orion Optics from when they were the UK distributor, I think back in the '80s..So the outfit probably came from Orion and probably cost at least £700-£800 all in when new- a lot of money around 30 or more years ago.

Good luck to whoever got it??.

Dave 

I haven't watched anything astro on Ebay for ages now as most seem to go for a lot more than they're worth on there, but that isn't a bad price at all.

Someone got a very good buy there, this scope was the King of Achromats in its time. I bought one new in 1991, for £1099. This didn't include drives which were an additional £270. I sold it some years ago and regret not keeping the mount. The Japanese made GP is in a very different league to Chinnese copies.  I'd be happy to pay that money for just the mount, the OTA is a bonus!

Archived