Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

My attempt to take picture about Messier 13 was not easy with my alt-az mount + smartphone. Into okular I used 2x zoom to cut down the viggnettation and a little part of coma. I think, it is still good with 2x zoom, the stars  looks round out. Celestron 8" SCT, alt - az mount, 25mm okular, Huawei P10 in monochrome mode,  ISO 1000, 15  sec. Of course I used a very massive smartphone adapter. https://www.astroshop.de/kamerahalterungen/omegon-easypic-universal-smartphoneadapter/p,49763

IMG_20180324_032041.jpg

• Like 9

That is awesome for a smart phone, I think smart phone AP is overlooked too often, yes it’s more cumbersome, but it’s fun to explore its limitations, sometimes what can be done can surprise and you just proved it!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

Very nice shot! I'd hang that on my wall :) What app do you use to control the smartphone camera?  

• Like 1

I’d been planning to take a pic of M13 for this competition. I’m glad you beat me to it. Brilliant shot :) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice shot! I'd hang that on my wall :) What app do you use to control the smartphone camera?  

Hi, thanks! I didn't use any application, only simple the camera on my phone, on Huawei P10 there are many options in manual mode. 

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’d been planning to take a pic of M13 for this competition. I’m glad you beat me to it. Brilliant shot :) 

Thanks and sorry for that! At first I wanted to share my M42, but I tought, its not enough here, because there are many nice pictures on this competition. 

• Like 1

Just rediscovering this forum and going through some of the old competition photos -- this one stuck out as particularly incredible. Really nice job capturing one of my favorite objects. Makes me hopeful that I might be able to get a shot like this in the future!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SacRiker said:

Just rediscovering this forum and going through some of the old competition photos -- this one stuck out as particularly incredible. Really nice job capturing one of my favorite objects. Makes me hopeful that I might be able to get a shot like this in the future!

Thanks! This picture was one of my first attempts on dso with my smartphone. Till this day I use only my phone to take pictures about the sky, with or without telescope too. I dont really want to take hours or several nights gather light on 1000 frames and stack them with programs... With okularprojection photos I can exactly get that feeling, how I see that objects in the eyepiece, it makes me happy, I dont need much more information about the objects. Everytime, if I hear that, "dso with phone?? - it's impossible!" - I am just smileing. Its possible with phone too in 2019. With one shot, not thousands of frames. In my gallery anybody can see that, what is possible with phone. Have a nice evening and clear sky! 

• Like 2

Great shot simsy! Really impressive stuff.

• Like 1